1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

changing from an Automatic to a Stick

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Marc L, Mar 19, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Marc L

Marc L New Member

We just Bought a 1994 Suburban 1500 4x4,after driving it less than 80 miles the transmission is dead.We would like to get rid of the Automatic and change it over to a stick.What kind of problems are we looking at ??Is there a thread about doing this ??What about cost?Any idea's or experience ? Thanks for your time. Marc L.

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You're pretty much looking at a custom job because the newer Suburbans were never offered in a manual transmission that I know of.

3. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It soundnt be to hard if you have all the equipment needed, I would love to do this to my silverado since it is my only automatic. My question to you is do u have the full center console? That's one thing holding me back also, I've heard a lot of different things about the right transmission. I want a solid 6 speed that has good gears for a truck. Hopefully someone with a good answer will chime in. Also I know you can use components from camero just have the right bell housing for your swap.its gunna be pricy but I plan on doing it myself as soon as I do the right research

4. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

The easiest way would be to find a 4x4 pick-up of about the same year and just swap the needed pieces over. Stay away from the car transmissions if you ever want to use your truck for hauling or towing. The car transmission will never last, they weren't designed for heavy loads. You will need a custom rear driveshaft, the pick-up front one should work. The 4L60E is computer controlled so your ecm will be looking for a tranny signal, so you will probably need to swap in a manual tranny ecm.