changing front shocks no wheel removal ? 2000 1500 4x4

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by bronx boy, Oct 28, 2012.

1. bronx boy

bronx boy New Member

can i change my front shocks without removing my wheels looks possible any help would be appreciated changed back last week no problem truck only has 12000 miles on it rear shock seal got dry rott and went dead dont want same on front truck was never used sat for a few years
  2. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia New Member

I am not an expert so I would double check, but as long as the front wheels are on jack stands and off the ground I don't see why not. Taking the wheels off would just make it allot easier. ( Double check with someone though).
  3. j cat

j cat Active Member

since this has not been used much If a rust belt vehicle I would remove the front wheels clean any rust off the brakes,inspect front end components, etc. then replace the shocks with the vehicle lifted slightly to make the shock install easy . grease all the front end joints with a lithium grease.

replacing the rear shocks with no lifting/wheel removal is possible because your not near any components.
  4. bronx boy

bronx boy New Member

did the grease when i got the truck nov 2010 with 8400 miles on it also had all brake lines replaced my friend gave me this truck it sat so much he replacer all rotors and brakes at least twice in past ten years they just rusted to crap but thank god the body is perfictand interioralso tires went bad dry rott replced them last week.every told him to use the truck butt he is thick headed got the truck for free not bad if its for free its for me. will opt to do front shocks the right way next weekend will take off wheels
  5. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

i replaced my front shocks without removing the wheels. piece of cake!
    2000 1500 2wd
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member

I did them on my 02 2wd, my 03 4wd and 05 4wd with the wheel on with no problem. 15-20 minute job.