1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Changing out the multi switch on a 1996 Suburban

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Jay Travis, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Jay Travis

Jay Travis New Member

Hi, all. Was trying to change out the turn signal/multi-switch on my 1996 GMC Suburban this afternoon, and ran into a small problem. Got the switch loose from the column, got the small cruise control plug loose and got the large plug with the multi-switch and and ignition switch wires loose. But I couldn't get the two long thin parts of the large plug that go to the multi switch out of the large plug body. So I figured I should probably ask someone here who has done this BEFORE I go and break something by getting in a hurry and Oops-ing the situation.

Any help/suggestions? Thanks.
  2. dipstick

dipstick New Member

3. Jay Travis

Jay Travis New Member

Thank you.
  4. Jay Travis

Jay Travis New Member

Well, that figures. I got the switch installed, checked it out, and I *STILL* have no brake lights and no turn signals. I checked the fuses, changed the bulbs and the tail light boards, but no turn signals and no brake lights. On the positive side, the wipers, headlights and tail lights, and one backup light all work, along with the high/low beams. (No idea about the cruise control yet, as I have no brake lights to be on the road with)

Any other ideas/suggestions?
  5. Jay Travis

Jay Travis New Member

OK; all's well. Bit of friendly advice to anyone else trying this- ALWAYS, ALWAYS double-check that you got the main connector between the multi-switch and the harness seated ALL THE WAY IN. Makes the lights work MUCH better! ;) D'oah!!!