1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

changing pitman arm

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jchevy, May 8, 2012.

1. jchevy

jchevy New Member

have 2002 tahoe changing pitman arm used removel tool on steering gear box came off ok on ball joint at draglink used removel tool and fork i had cheater bar two feet and hammer wont pop loose any ideals.
  2. dustdevil

dustdevil New Member

5 or 6 good hits with a 3lb short handle sledge worked for me. Jus make sure your ball joints match the originals or youll end up in my situation LOL! Hope this helps.
  3. giorge

giorge New Member

Yep a hammer or 2 hammers hit from 2 sides at the same time or sometimes a little heat, but don't over heat it.
  4. ippielb

ippielb Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

did you remember to take the nut off of the balljoint? :lol:But really, it takes some encouraging, did my truck, and the air hammer with the fork on it works wonders.