Changing power steering fluid

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by ridick_bowen, Nov 30, 2010.

1. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen Rockstar 100 Posts

Hi,

How do I drain my power steering fluid? Do I just pull the return tube that goes into the power steering pump and run the truck until all the fluid is gone?

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I just use a suction bulb, it get most of it out. I change mine twice a year because of the oversize tires.

3. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen Rockstar 100 Posts

You mean like a turkey baster?

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Yes, just make sure it can withstand the fluid.

5. Skreed

Skreed New Member

You can do as you mentioned or use the suction bulb or large syringe. Sucking the fluid out is certainly easier but less effective, you might trying sucking it out and replacing it 2 or 3 times to get it really clean. Of course run the engine and turn the wheel in between to get the fluid flowing. Once you are finished either method you choose you should bleed the system by jacking the front end up and turning the wheel lock to lock 10 or so times. Once you have done that check the level, it should drop, add fluid to the proper level and repeat this process until the level does not drop anymore.

1 person likes this.
  6. afireinside

afireinside Member

Is their a aftermarket fluid that can be used in a 2008 NBS silverado? My manual calls for a GM part number only dident specifiy a PS fluid or a ATF any ideas?

7. Blacksheep1

Blacksheep1 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Amsoil makes a great fluid for it.

8. thrasher

thrasher Rockstar 100 Posts

I change the brake fluid in the reservoir using the turkey baster every time I change my oil, the ps fluid maybe 2x a year.

9. Aarron007

Aarron007 New Member

That seems like alot!! Can't hurt though if you got the dough