Changing the Color of Your Bowtie?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by BlackedOut010, Apr 17, 2011.

1. BlackedOut010

BlackedOut010 New Member

Ive read a ton of posts on here about people wanting the change the color of their bowtie from that hideous gold to color match their truck. Every post ive seen involves taping everything off or removing the emblems and painting them. Well, a friend of mine owns a decal shop and wanted to try wrapping them in vinyl. Looks GREAT. Get the right people to do it and it looks just as good as any time consuming paint job ive seen. No air bubbles or creases at all. Not trying to knock anybodys suggestions but if you arent the painting type then this is a good idea for ya.

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

I might also ad, the vinyl is gloss black and made by 3M. and better yet, it has a 7 year warranty on it. Hope this helps!

2. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Yeah, vinyl bowtie covers is always an option. There are several sites that sell them in various colors and patterns (Rebel flag, Texas flag, American flag, etc). I had originally thought about going that route myself but I really wanted a matte look and had plenty of time to deal with the taping.

Vinyls are indeed a great option for some folks, though! Thanks for the post.

3. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Try the vinyl and let us know how it turns out! For mine, I just unbolted the bowtie, roughed it up with some steel wool and then gave it a few coats of gloss black and it came out nice.

4. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Haha... I'm such an idiot that I spent more time trying to remove the front bowtie than I did just giving up and taping it out.

5. SSwt00SS

SSwt00SS New Member

I did it to the front bowtie. I removed it, scuffed it with 2000 grit, used Duplicolor Adheision Promoter, Duplicolor Primer, Duplicolor Gloss Black, and Duplicolor Clearcoat. Pretty simple really and makes a huge difference. My Colorado is white, so if I repaint it, I will do white next time.

6. yotchie

yotchie Rockstar 100 Posts

the aluminum replacements are not overly pricey i swapped mine out on my 04 and it looks great. its another option cause to get it vinyl coated if you don't know someone in the industry, it could be close to the same price as the aluminum replacement

7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I'm guessing that there have been over 1 million searches on this site related to blacking out your bowtie.

8. zuki82

zuki82 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

The gold was flaking under the clear plastic bowtie, so I popped it off and the wife painted it red on the inside! Put a little 3 in there and then glued it back on! The truck is white, so it looks awesome! I worked at a job that we used a white chevy van, so I painted that one red too! I don't know why chevy don't use red, it looks awesome!

9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Need Pics!!!

Attached Files:

10. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

If I were going to kick my traditional gold to the curb, it would be for a matt black finish. as I have the polished billet grills.