1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Changing the driveshaft on a 2000 Sonoma

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jgooder, Nov 10, 2008.

1. jgooder

jgooder New Member

I was hoping that some one here could help me out. I have a 2000 GMC sonoma
    4.3L auto, extend cab, short box. It has a two peace driveshaft and it has a little vibration at highway speeds. I have heard that i will have to change to a one peace. Is this what i have to do and do older S10 and sonomas have one peaces that i can use and just replace the U joints.
    Thanks Jay
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site! If you can get the driveling out, try taking it to a driveling shop that can balance it for you then install it with new u-joints. Just a suggestion.
  3. k.daddy1

k.daddy1 New Member

Just replaced the joints in an extended cab sonoma. The two piece CV knuckle in front of the hanger bearing is very expensive to get the u-joints replaced. No normal shop with a bench press really should try to replace them. But the only way to check for sure for a dry u-joint is to pull the joint out of the saddle and check if the joint is dry and stiff/ratchety. Most likely it will be either the front joint or the back one at the diff. Good Luck!
  4. jgooder

jgooder New Member

Thanks guys