Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

changing the gears

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bama dave, Mar 23, 2010.

1. bama dave

bama dave Member

I have read some of the thread here advising poeple to change their gearing to 4.56 ish if they are going to a 35+ size tire. I am just wondering what is the time frame you need to change them before it starts to do damage. Are we talking weeks months or years? There will be no off-roading until i get it changed. i just want to be sure street driving wont hurt it for a month or two. thakns for your help

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Every truck is differant and how you drive. If you havent lifted your truck yet I would wait until you can change the gears when you lift the truck. I ran my Suburban for a week after lift and it ran like a dog. Had no power and the tranny ran hot.So when I lifted my Silverado I changed the gears at the same time.

3. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

This depends on what gears you have now. Some Chevy's come stock with 4.10 gears, if this is the case you are fine. I had 3.73 gears stock and actually drove mine lifted with 35's for almost a month before re-gearing. It was a dog and downshifted a lot on the highway. I did also notice my tranny ran hotter than it did prior to the lift. I would recommend you either wait and have both done at the same time or drive it very little until you re-gear.

4. Dactyl

Dactyl Member

How can you find out what gears you have?

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

changing gears

Look at the label in your glove box for one of these codes. GT5= 4.10, GT4=3.73, GU6=3.42 and GU5=3.23.

6. sharpshooterusmc

sharpshooterusmc Rockstar 100 Posts

if u are short on cash and want to lift it soon like i did with my old truck, put the lift and just re-gear the back axle for now and wait til u get the cash to do the front, just dont use the 4x4

7. bama dave

bama dave Member

thanks fellas i am thinking about getting the lift installednow and when i go home on leave getting the tires and gears done what do y'all think about that? because from what i am understanding it is the tires that need the deeper gearing correct?

8. TurboChris

TurboChris Member

Thats correct. When you put taller tires on the truck it effectively changes your gear ratio.....all you are doing by re-gearing is bringing it back to a stock (or improved) ratio. So lift it and drive all you want.....then when you get new taller tires....get it re-geared when you can.

9. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

You need to make sure your stock rims will work with whatever lift you go with.

10. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

in order to run stock rims you cant get a knuckle lift it needs to be a bracket kit like procomp or superlift. but if its newer the bracket lift may not be an option. On the gearing if you have 3.73 gears and go to a 35" tire it would be the same as running a 3.31 with stock tires (if its a 3.43 it would be like a 3.07 etc). Your highway rpms will drop but will definately make everything work alot harder to get it moving. If your nice to it, it will do the job for a while until you can change the gears. Here is a chart showing gear ratio and tire size http://www.4wheelparts.com/aux_incl/gear_ratio.html