Changing transfer case fluid

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Silverado Junkie, Jul 1, 2010.

Newest Photos

1. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member 100 Posts

Im gona be changing my transfer case fluid and was wondering how much fluid it holds? Surely it cant hold over 2 quarts. And I was also wondering the best fluid to put in it? Dexron III ATF? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You'd be suprised how much a transfer case can hold. The transfer case on my Bronco held 3-4 quarts, I don't remember exactly.
  3. Silverado Junkie

Ok thanks man. I guess I'll just buy 4 quarts and take back whatever I didnt use. And whats the best fluid to use in my transfer case? Because Ive heard to use Dexron III tranny fluid and ive also heard to use Auto Trak II fluid.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

In your year truck you use a automatic transmission fluid. I use Mobil1 synthetic transmission fluid in my 1996 Suburbans t/case. I get at AutoZone.
  5. Silverado Junkie

Sounds good, thanks for the help man.
  6. ippielb

ippielb New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Fill it up until it starts to come out the bottom of the fill plug hole. That's an easy way to tell, i would play it safe and buy 5 quarts of fluid, and then return if you didn't use any, or you can keep it for extra.
  7. Silverado Junkie

Ya man, better safe than sorry. Thanks.
  8. swedp

swedp New Member

1996 tc 231 - 233 uses 1.18 liters or 1.25 qts according to gm book

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

dexron lll that is

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

okay hooked up to 4.3 vortec
  9. onseytote

onseytote New Member

I was thinking of buying 4 quarts but realized your tip is more logical :great: I'm getting 5 quarts.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010