Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Changing transmission fluid via a pump.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Jan 3, 2013.

1. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I take my trucks to the transmission shop to have the transmission changed. It usually runs me ~$100. Does anyone here use a pump to suck the fluid through the dipstick tube?

Thanks.
  2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

on older vehicles I did this. now these have a piece of metal at the stick tip end. this only allows you to suck out 1.5QTS. so the way to go is get the tranny pan with the drain plug.

sucking out the fluid first then droping the pan does save on clean up with the older design. you could suck out 4 qts very little in the pan. drain plug is much faster .

also get the rubber pan gasket and torque to about 7 ft lbs. I have used my gasket 4X so far.
  3. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

So the 6L80 transmissions you can only get 1.5 quarts out?

I thought about a new tranny pan with plug, but they are $250 and you have to drop the exhaust.