1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Changing wheel studs...Help.

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by gfam, May 26, 2009.

1. gfam

gfam New Member

Changed rotors, brakes & bearing this weekend. The wheel studs are giving me heck.

Both rotors/hubs are back on the 90 Suburban with the wheel studs not quite back in. The first tire I used a lug nut & washers to pull the studs back on with very little problems. The second tire I can't get the studs to cooperate. I've boogered up one stud and may have more. They just would not go back in. Do I have to pull the whole dang thing back off or is there a knock out to access the studs to put in new?

Thanks. I can't seem to find directions for this one step anywhere.
  2. GaryL

GaryL New Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I have always used the nut to pull them into place. Sometimes tapping it with a hammer to get it to lock into place and not spin was necessary.
  3. gfam

gfam New Member

I did that. Arrgghh.

Do you know if we have to pull the hub/rotor off to replace the wrecked ones or is there an knock out access that I'm not seeing.

Thanks.
  4. GaryL

GaryL New Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I'm not sure if you have to pull the rotor off, but I don't ever recall seeing a knock-out. Is there enough room to push it back out and pull the stud out from the back?
  5. joemud

joemud New Member

I have always had to pull the rotor off to put new studs in, but another thing you need to look at is the diameterof the studs going in. I know Chevrolet uses at least 2 different sizes of studs with two different diameters, which means there are two different size stud holes in the rotor. Check also for the spline alignment on the studs, the splines prevent the stud from turning on you. It sounds like you probably just don't have the splines aligned so the stud will pull through. Got any pics you can post for me to see?
  6. gfam

gfam New Member

Joe,
    THanks for the info. I was able to get them all in but one that I wrecked the threads on. My patience is gone. I'm going to take it in and have a mech change out the stud. At least I got most of it done.

Thanks again.