Changing window buttons to newer ones

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by CJRM112, Nov 21, 2009.

1. CJRM112

CJRM112 Member

Hey guys I have a 99 silverado and my lights in my window contols burnt but insted of buying the original one. I was wondering if the newer controls off of a 03-06 would plug in to my harness because the newer ones look atlot better any advise on this would be nice. Thanks.

2. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have plans to put aftermarket power windows in my truck, but wanted to use stock switches. In my quest for wiring info for the stock switches, I found that the 2003+ switches have wires for the class 2 data, the newer computer system that pretty much everything in the truck communicates with. Since this was not around for our trucks, this wire is different.

This leads me to believe that although the 2 switches will fit interchangeably, the wiring will likely not work. I do agree with you though that the newer switches do look much nicer.

3. CJRM112

CJRM112 Member

Well thanks guess I'll just replace the stock ones then.

4. pmf608

IF you are up for it, those bulbs can be replaced. it just takes the effort to open the switches up, and a bit of soldering skiil to de-solder and solder new ones on. If you choose to replace the bulbs, you can find the same type, or i would recommend switching to LED lights, which if installed properly can last longer than the life of the truck without burning out. It is up to you though.

5. CJRM112

CJRM112 Member

Yeah I was going to switch all my dash lights to blue LEDs I was going to solder them in with resistors and possibly try to do the headlight switch and the rest. Is it possible to replace the ones in my Ac controls cause the ac buttons on them burnt oy so I'd like to replace them If it was possible?

6. pmf608

yes, it is possible. I did all of mine, but a couple seem to have come loose. On the guage cluster, you can get replacement sockets and some 194 wide angle LED bulbs and it is a direct swap. I did a write-up about this. The other ones all work with a proper resistor and LED bulb soldered in place of the original bulbs. I have had a couple go out, but i think it may be due to bad soldering as a result of using an old soldering iron with old solder. They are all pretty straight forward - except you have to have with the right ends on positive and negative - can be difficult to tell which circuits are which without testing. I will warn you, the headlight switch is possible, but is not a normal metal where the bulbs connect, and is extremely difficult to get a solder to stick to. On the headlight switch, the only LED i've had problems with is the extra one I added to better illuminate the 'off' position, so if you leave that one out, you shouldn't have any problems. I dont have power windows, but have opened a switch to look at it and it will not be any more difficult to add LED's to than the climate controls would be. The only light I didn't do is the one for the passenger airbag switch as I dont like to mess with anything in the airbag system. If you have any questions about the process or anything else, feel free to ask.

7. CJRM112

CJRM112 Member

Yeah I haven't took my speedo out yet so I don't know if they are the 194 bulbs if so this would be really easy to but the climate control pretty hard to do?

8. pmf608

On your year of truck, the speedo is definitely 194 bulbs. They are attatched to the base, so the way I did it was to rip them out, then bend the contacts on the 194 LED's to fit. I since found out that you can buy replacement bases that work with the 194 bulbs with no bending of contacts. The climate controls are easy enough. One warning - when you get it out, you will see little clips on around the edge holding the white cover on the back (after you have removed the knobs and the fan setting dial from the back) - do not try to push in or release these clips as they will break. Simply pull away on the white piece, or pry it. It just pops over the clips. Then you just need to solder the LED's and resistors on the right way. Before soldering them, you could plug the opened unit back in and use a multimeter or circuit tester to find the positive for each light, or else you can just put them on and hope it is the right way. If they do not light up when you plug it in, just de-solder them and reverse the polarity of the LED. The window switches, cargo/fog lamp switch, and airbag switch if you choose to do it will all be similar.

9. CJRM112

CJRM112 Member

Ok well thanks probly next week I will attempt to do this but I will let you know when I do this for some advise if I run in to any problems

10. CJRM112

CJRM112 Member

Allright I replaced all of my dash lights with blue LEDs I mean every one like ac turn signal indicator lights everything. It took awhile bit it allworks good thanks for the help!:great: