1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

charging ac

Discussion in 'Chevy Avalanche Forum (Escalade EXT)' started by steveb, Oct 30, 2013.

1. steveb

steveb New Member

im trying to charge my ac in my 88 GMC, its after market 134a,put in one 12oz can and clutch comes on and off no cool air put second can in have cool air but the clutch still goes on and off. low side is 30-40 high side is 100. outside temp is 80 with a fan blowing in the condensor. i don't want to over fill it do i have an obstruction?

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I don't know anything about ac systems. But where do you live that you're doing this now? Lol. Just an observation.

3. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

This chart seems to be representative of what I see for 134a AC systems http://idqusa.com/faqs/r-134a-system-pressure-chart/ I've used this table when working on my own AC system, too, so I think it is right. According to this, it looks like you are still low on refigerant.

Have the stickers from the 134a retrofit survived? What do they say the max charge of 134a should be?

4. poncho62

poncho62 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

My 97 holds 2 lbs of refrigerant. I imagine yours is similar. My AC guy says adding using those cans is not the way to do it. He says, all refrigerant should be evacuated from the system, weighed and then you know exactly how much to put back in.