Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Charging issue

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by k.daddy1, Nov 14, 2008.

1. k.daddy1

k.daddy1 Rockstar 100 Posts

I have an 03 chevy silverado. 4 months ago, I replaced the battery, this past weekend the alternator crapped out. I replaced the alternator and now the charging light in the dash stays on. I've checked the battery with a multimeter and I'm getting 14.6 volts to the battery while running and the same at the alternator. Why would the charging light stay on? Anyone have a clue?

2. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Is there a solenoid between the altenator and the battery? That might be the problem. Other than that I really don't know.

3. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

Does the light go out when you raise the idle? Most likey the gauge is bad.

4. raisor87

raisor87 Rockstar 100 Posts

disconnect the battery for 10 minutes, or just drive it your pcm can take a while to reprogram itsself or bad voltage regulator ?

5. k.daddy1

k.daddy1 Rockstar 100 Posts

Light doesn't change with idle, I've took the alternator back to NAPA and had it tested. They said it was good. I'll try the battery disconnect and see what happens. Thanks

6. Thundare

Thundare Rockstar 100 Posts

try Replacing the battery, in my 96 Tahoe i was going bazerk, so i replaces all the electrical and it still was goin crazy, batter seemed fined, untill i was going up a hill and the engine starts to cut out, THE BATTERY WAS FRIED, it turned out that the battery malfunctioned, but still showed Volts and amp, i replaced it. totally fixed the problem. i put out a bunch of money just for a damn 70$ batter. that suked ,