1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Chat System? Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Feb 8, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

How many people love the chat system and want to expand it? It looks like it's a big hit, but I want some feedback.

We can upgrade the current system for a monthly fee, or I can pay one-time for a different system that will do the same thing (and maybe some more stuff). I'm just wondering how much time to spend on this as I run the site and I can't get it because it says "Chat Full!" ... we've hit the 25 user-at-one time that have the chat window open (even if you're not chatting).
  2. GMCErica

GMCErica New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hey Steve! You know that I love the chat and I am on like almost every night.. I can list about 15 users that use it on a regular basis...It was awful the other night, it completely booted everyone off (10 of us) and wouldn't come back on for almost 30 mins... It freezes all the time, I guess when a lot of users go on to chat, it runs slower and then boots everyone out! We get the BOOT! I can say, that I know that even though we can spend hours on the chat, we are searching forums, posting and creating new threads.. It brings new people on to chat with us, and gets questions answered, through forums and posts too..was one of the best add-ons you put on...Good job!!
  3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

As I am one of the 15 users on just about every night I would second Erica's statements about liking the chat. There have been a few times that when I logged on it said "chat full" even though not all members were actually chatting. I would be willing to pay a small fee to keep the chat option rolling.
  4. Burden33

Burden33 New Member 100 Posts

X3 with erica and x2 with Alox. The chat is one of the best things added to the website im on it almost every night except when i have my spurts of disappearing for weeks on end.
  5. ChevyFan

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  6. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Personally I have never experienced any trouble with the current chat system. I do however believe the chat system takes away from the regular forums . Just a perception. I have no way to check stats but maybe Steve , you can look at that ara and see if we are gaining in one area but losing in another.
  7. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

[MENTION=48417]Coach24[/MENTION]- Why do you feel the chat takes away from the forum? There have been a few times where I have been chatting with Surrealone about things we would like to do with our trucks. And in that conversation has come up with a question neither one of us has been able to answer or something we feel would be helpful to the members of the forum.
  8. AMac

AMac New Member 100 Posts

Hey Steve!
    You mentioned something about it saying that the chat was full. I ran into that issue when I logged in directly to http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/ which is the main page for GMTC. When I log on directly through the GMTC Chevy Truck Forum using http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/forum.php I have no issues. To get here I usually google "gmtctruckclub". Not sure my post helps you any.[h=1][/h]

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

I agree w/ GMCErica about browsing the forum while chatting. I also think it keeps me browsing the forum.
  9. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Just my own observation that forums seem to be viewed less nw there is a chat room. Not saying good or bad. Just something to look at and see if they both improve the experience or if chat lessens the forum responses.
    I know it may be a toss up. But my perception is that those chatting don't respond to the forums as much as before Chat. I may be wrong. that is why I put it out there to see if Steve can pull the numbers and see what effect if Any it has.
  10. ChevyFan

It's not really related. There's too many factors to bring a direct comparison anyhow.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

I don't like the new chat bar. I was actually going to purchase ArrowChat ... and I was comparing CometChat (this piece-of-junk that is on here right now) and I clicked off something and when I clicked "purchase" it was on the cometchat box instead of the arrowchat box. :grrrrrr:

I think we're going to get rid of this chatbar and move back to the other one ... then we'll take a look at the ArrowChat when I get some more cash in the bank!