Chat System? Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Feb 8, 2012.

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I know I respond -more- to the forums because of chat -- specifically because I'm on the forums more TO respond because chat keeps me hanging around and I browse and reply while chatting.

@Steve,
    On a completely different subject I've noticed weird browser (IE9) hangs and crashes since we moved to the new chat system. It only happens here, on this site and it began within a day of the new chat system going in. Something's probably amuck with the chat app -- perhaps a leak or a UE (unhandled exception) that the browser chokes on. It seems to only happen when I've been on the site for a while...

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

It could be independent. There have been some horrible back-end issues including some a trojan takeover for a few days from inbound google traffic, all thanks to vbSEO. That was in the last two weeks. ... We'd need to hear it from a lot of people to rule out an anomoly for this.

That should correct itself now that it's fixed. (I hope) and we can determine the true cause-and-effect of some of these issues.

3. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

On firefox and havent seen anything of this issue.

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

x2 with no issues on firefox. Thanks steve for the great job with the site

5. ChevyFan

** Removal of Chat System **

I'm going to take down the chat system in the near future and replace it with the old system. There may be a day or two before we get back live, just letting everyone know in advance.

6. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I love the chat system. I've probably had at least 4 lengthy chats just in the last few days with other members. It's nice getting the one on one coversations that the threads don't really provide efficiently.

7. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Chat app, Chat app, Chat app :great:

8. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yay, it's back

9. ChevyFan

We're having some issues with the chat-bar blocking the pop-up windows for users to upload images, so we're going to take it down for now to see how we can address this on these pages.

Moreover, the current chat-system was dead, maybe 5 people per week got on the chat boards, even though many seemed to like the direct user-to-user chat system, we have to find a better way that isn't going to conflict with main features of the site.

10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

QA chief reason this system got less chat traffic than the previous system was because the previous system plopped users into a room by default ... and the recently removed system ... did not.