1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

cheapest way of giving my truck the gift of posi-traction

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by puckupman88, Mar 26, 2012.

1. puckupman88

puckupman88 New Member

I don't want to weld the spider gears ive seen bad things happen to others when this is done. looking for the cheapest way to put posi in her, its 4.10 rear end 14 bolt thanks in advance
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Need a little more Information, what Year and Model is your Vehicle???
  3. Blazer454

Blazer454 New Member

find another rear end that already has the diff you want
  4. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The best option would be to find a complete rear axel replacement at a salvage yard and do a complete swap. In the long run you can probably get a reaer axel for a fairly good price and it isn't that big of a job.
  5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

A Detroit locker will be your cheapest route. I'm assuming you have the 10.5" 14 bolt axle. For this axle, the Detroit locker does not replace the carrier in the axle, just the spider gears, so they end up being cheaper. Also from what I understand, you don't have to reset the gear mesh pattern when putting a locker in a 14 bolt for the same reason.
  6. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What is it that you are going to do with the vehicle? If you are driving it on the street, you do NOT want to weld up ANYTHING! When you go around corners, your tires on the outside turn faster than the ones on the inside. If you weld the gears together, they are forced to turn at the same speed. This results in one tire being dragged or things breaking. If your rig is only for off-road trail use, I suppose you could get away with it, but there are times you don't want your diff locked even on the trails. Get yourself an air locker. That way, you can select it when you want to and disable it when you don't.
  7. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I'm going to second crawdaddy's suggestion, if cost is the most important factor. Some kind of "lunchbox" locker will be cheaper to buy and, because it uses the existing carrier, it is easier to install -- you might even be able to install it yourself, avoiding those costs.

It will be a locker, so there will be some getting used to the way it behaves. Chirping tires on corners if you get on it too much. Understeer. An increased tendency for the back end to kick out when things are slippery. But that will likely be the cheapest.

2nd cheapest will probably be the full axle replacement option. In this case, though, you will almost certainly end up with the factory G80. The 14 bolt version seems to hold up better than the 10 bolt version, but you will have to decide if the G80 with its reputation is really what you want.
  8. puckupman88

puckupman88 New Member

thanks to everyone for the advice if the detroit locker is going to be the cheapest way out then I'm going to have to put this on the back burner, they want around $460 for a detroit locker for my rearend.
  9. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yep, and that's on the cheap end. Look up a Dana 60 locker. You're looking at $600+ for one of them. Gotta pay to play...