1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Check Engine Light on a 07 Silverado?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by malibuman82wgn, Apr 25, 2010.

1. malibuman82wgn

malibuman82wgn New Member

Hey guys...Let a 07 Silverado 1500 (4.8L/auto/2wd) with 94k on it sit for a month...Started it up and the check engine light is on...Took it in, throwing a TPS (throttle position sensor) code...Went to a gas station on the way home, shut the truck off, put gas in it, started it back up, light came off...Just pull back in the driveway and the light pops back on...Should i assume it really needs the sensor or maybe it needs to be driven? Connections need to be cleaned? Thanks
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

Make sure your battery is fully charged. Unplug the TPS and clean the connection. Look for a loose or corroded ground wire on the manifold. If all are good you may have a bad sensor.
  3. malibuman82wgn

malibuman82wgn New Member

Thanks...I'm assuming I take the top cover off and its somewhere under there? Not a Chevy guy, so I don't know
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Yes it is part of the whole electronic throttle assembly...
    Did you buy your Chevy when they were offering the 5 YR 100K mile powertrain warranty??? if you did and you cant track the fault down you might as well let the stealership have a look since GM should still pay for any faults..
    I dont like or advocate dealers unless the vehicles are under warranty.. Then i will make the Manufacture repair my truck since i dont feel i should have to spend the money out of my pocket when it is still the makers responsibility to fix it...
  5. Montana

Montana New Member

Unfortunately, I do not think that the 5yr-100,000 mile powertrain covers sensors. It only covers "internally lubricated parts"...go figure. I had a bad TPS in my "07 service ride at around 25,000 miles. You are lucky that you could still drive, mine went into a reduced power safe mode and would only allow me to drive about 15 MPH.
  6. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Wow thanks for the heads up i misread when my wife had an 07 HHR.... And yes i would lean twards a TPS as well and as i said it is located on the Electronic Throttle assembly.. It might not be a bad idea to try and google for a picture of the part so you pull the right one..
  7. Loggerhead Mike

Loggerhead Mike New Member

you will be suprised how much gm put under the 07 early 08 powertrain coverage. just call a dealer with your vin and they will tell you

with it throwing codes then see'ing no problem like it is it highly sounds like a bad terminal connection