Check engine light - reset okay?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by drymocke, Apr 11, 2013.

1. drymocke

drymocke New Member

So I was on a 6 lane highway, rolling along in the fast lane behind 22-23 cars, 3 abreast, and all doing 55-60. Irritating to say the least. So when I had the opportunity to pull into the middle lane and pass the 6 cars doing 60 in the fast lane I did... spent about $10 by flooring the gas for 10+ seconds to get by them. AND... I noticed that while I was doing this the check engine light came on... and then stayed on for 3-4 days.

So I disconnected the battery thinking maybe the excessive acceleration caused an oxygen sensor to trigger the alarm. Since then no check engine light, which I would expect to come back on IF there truly was a problem. Thoughts on this? Should I take it to AutoZone and have them hook up the diagnostic tool to see if there's anything registered?

Thanks in advance for all replies...

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

most of the time autozone can not pulled stored codes. The light has to be on for them to check it. I think advance uses a nicer scanner that may be able to pull the code. Even though I disconnected my battery and it shut the abs light off, they were able to pull abs codes that I had 6 months earlier

3. USAF-Suburban

USAF-Suburban Rockstar 100 Posts

Might not be a bad idea to invest in a simple OBD-II reader. Fairly inexpensive at most auto stores. That way, you can check and verify exactly what the cause is before you disconnect the battery. It may just be a fluke error but you never know...

4. blackburb

blackburb Rockstar 100 Posts

I'd get it checked. Especially on an '07. It's free.