Check Engine Light, Transmission?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Caliz71Tahoe, May 20, 2007.

1. Caliz71Tahoe

Caliz71Tahoe New Member

Hope this is the right forum!

Check engine light came on last night ('96 Z71) while driving. Kept up at 55 just fine until I had to slow to under 20...tried to accelerate and truck sorta sputtered and was only able to go 20-25 mpr (very rough). Went up and over a hill and going down, coasted until 55mpr...truck ran fine again until I had to slow down. Made another attempt at accelerating and truck wouldn't pick up...starting hearing a banging under the hood on the passenger side. Pulled over & got a tow. :frown:

Tranny fluid was lower that expected, replaced fuel filter but still hesitating on the shift. Fluid doesn't smell like the "burnt almonds" as you might smell but engine is a bit louder.

Any suggestions?
  2. unplugged

unplugged New Member

Get the codes

If you don't have a code reader, borrow one from a local parts store (Autozone) More info will make for a better diagnosis.
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

Any update on this? It sounds like it could be a number of differnt things. I'm curious what the codes were.
  4. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member

I really miss the old days when all you needed to get a code was a paper clip a pen and paper.

Now days with all computerized equipment in the running gear you got to be an engineer to fix something.

And we all know how much I dislike engineers.
  5. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member

I think you mentioned that once...:lol: