1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by Nevada Born, Jun 18, 2008.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Nevada Born

Nevada Born New Member

My check engine light has just come on. I have 48000 miles on my 2005 Trailblazer. I also have the engine whine. It goes up with engine RPM. I tried belt dressing and that quieted it a bit.

I am not sure if the two items are related. Can anyone tell me what things can cause the check engine light to come on. I have tightened the gas cap as well. This is all I have done so far.
  2. tekkitan

tekkitan New Member

There are MANY things that can cause it. Best thing to do is goto Autozone or a similar store and have them read the code to find out what the code is, then you can better diagnose the cause.
  3. Nevada Born

Nevada Born New Member

When I had a Dodge 2500 there was a way (which I don't remember now) to check the codes by doing a sequence of things using the ignition and some other items to read the codes. I take it Chevy doesn't give you that option.
  4. tekkitan

tekkitan New Member

If it was an OBD I car (94 and earlier i believe) you could use a paper clip and short two connections, then the CEL/SES light would blink the codes out for you. I don't think that is possible with the OBD II cars (at least not that I am aware of). Autozone would be your best bet, it's free and takes no time at all.
  5. Nevada Born

Nevada Born New Member

For what ever reason my light has now gone out. I got rid of the whine by replacing the idler pulley so it was the problem
  6. asstda2b

asstda2b New Member 100 Posts

mine will go on and then go off a little while later. i ran the code for it and the thermostat is going out. talked to my father who is a mechanic and he said sometimes they just go. i only have 50,000 miles on mine. maybe i mised it, bt did you run the code when it was on or run it shortly after it went out, the code will still be there.
  7. asstda2b

there is a sequence of things to do to turn off the code. but all i am aware of, at least for mine, you need to plug in the code machine which mechanics have and it will tell you right away what code it is.

oh, also, if you have the car running or not completely on but you can listen tot he radio while you pump gas. chevy doesn't like it when you do that, and the light will come on. the light has to be reset in order for it to go off. i did that once.
  8. Nevada Born

Nevada Born New Member

The light has been off since Saturday when I filled up with gas. This is the second time it has gone off after doing something with the gas cap. I have been thinking of getting a locking gas cap any way so I think the next time it comes on I am going to replace the gas cap and see what happens.
  9. asstda2b

DON'T PUT ON A LOCKING GAS CAP. just a little information.

My family works for Chevy, some in the design aspects of the company. I asked about the locking gas cap as people are coming to our neighborhood and stealing gas. They said that the gas caps that are for sell are not the same even if they say they are for a trailblazer and your light will go on all the time as the computer does not recognize the locking cap. i had bought one, and had to return it.

my mother has a 2002 sub, and we put a locking cap on hers before we talked to my family, and her light came on the all the time and we ha to keep resetig it. once we took the cap off and went back to the factory one, we were ok.

have you had someone read the codes. it may be somehting else.
  10. lakebear99

lakebear99 New Member

I'm having the same problem. how much was the pully and did you have to get it from Chevy?