1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'Chevy Colorado Forum (GMC Canyon)' started by RAM717, Jan 25, 2007.

1. RAM717

RAM717 New Member

Hi,

Has anyone been having a problem with their check engine light?
    I took my 05 Colorado to the dealer and was advised that it needs a new head. I have 81000 miles (98% Freeway miles). My extended warranty expired at 75000. I have a church member who also has the same model but only 35000 miles with the same problem, needs a new head. She is under warranty but I was told that I would have to pay about $4500.00 for parts and labor.
    I have called GM and informed them of the situation.
    If you have expereinced the same problem, can you please advise me what to do for GM to give me a price break if not cover the whole thing.

Thank you for your help.
    RAM717
  2. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

What has your overall maintenance experience been? Any other troubles with the car during the 81k miles? Do you save your maintenance records? If you are going to buck GM's normal warranty procedure you are going to need some ammo.
  3. ChevyTech

ChevyTech New Member

Hi, chances are you do need a new head. I worked for Hummer for a short bit and the H3 has the same engine. In the year and a half I worked with the company I replaced at least 20 heads. All around 30k GM never gave me at least a clear reason this was happening but it had somthing to do with the casting and seating. It always leaked out of the same side twords the rear of the head. You got alot more miles out of that head than most people I know, my best friend has an 06' Colorado and he replaced his head at 9k. Unfortunately if it is out of warrant the bill is insane, I hope the dealer helped out a little because this is a common problem.
  4. jhbmf

jhbmf New Member

I have an 04 and the only time my check engine light has come on was when I had a cracked cylinder head and clogged throttle body. That made it idle rather rough though, so you would probably notice if it was that.
  5. Gregsyellorado

Gregsyellorado New Member

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  6. Flatman

Flatman New Member

No lights as of yet :crosses fingers:
  7. lilmissme

lilmissme New Member

I had an issue with my truck at 35,000 miles. I had to have an all new valves, valve springs, a piston and a head put in. Now at 75,000 my truck is stalling out at low idle. Any time that I coast to a stop the truck stalls, and when I am sitting in traffic the idle is so rough that my truck shakes. I used an OBD II on it and it read LOW RPM AT IDLE. I wonder if this is another head issue or something else. Can someone please help me?
  8. Flatman

Flatman New Member

I only have 12k right now...I am hopin for the best.