Check engine light

Discussion in 'Chevy Colorado Forum (GMC Canyon)' started by AnsteyZ71, Mar 7, 2007.

1. AnsteyZ71

AnsteyZ71 New Member

Hey guys, I just bought a 2004 Colorado 2 weeks ago with 41150 miles on it and yesterday on my way home from work the check engine light came on. Is it because it ticked 42000 for scheduled maintenance or should I be worried. I called the dealer and they told me to bring her in but I don't want to go there with my eyes closed. Any info would be appreciated.

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

To my knowledge, the check engine light isn't used as a maintenance reminder on these. The check engine light is there so the computer can tell you that it sees some fault. The first step in diagnosing this is to get the trouble codes from the computer. If you don't have a code reader/scanner of your own, then you need to find one. Some parts stores will read trouble codes for free, in the hopes of selling you something. Even if you choose to have the dealership do the diagnosis for you, knowing the trouble codes before you take it in will help you go in with your "eyes open."

1 person likes this.
  3. AnsteyZ71

AnsteyZ71 New Member

thanks, is there any way to reset my computer first to see if it happens again?

4. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You can disconnect the battery and if it is an intermittent condition the light will clear. Otherwise cruise by your local AutoZone and have them read the codes.

5. AnsteyZ71

AnsteyZ71 New Member

Thanks guys, I went by Advances auto yesterday and they checked it out. It was fault code P0506; Idle problem, RMP low. It must have happened when I was driving in low gear in slow traffic. Well the lights out now, the dealer called me too to tell me to bring her in and they would check it out for free. Your info was much appreciated. Cheers...

6. jhbmf

jhbmf New Member

I have an 04 and the only time my check engine light has come on was when I had a cracked cylinder head and clogged throttle body. That made it idle rather rough though, so you would probably notice if it was that.

7. Pavo

Pavo New Member

well i had that issue today. and it came on i checked my gas cap it was bit loose. turned it tight and drove for about 5 minutes and it went off. if u've ever ownd a high maintence car likea bmw or something. that happends to all those things. i got a 04 colorado the other day my self with 60k on it and the gas cap has to be replaced soon its a bit loose when its tight. so that also my be and issue.