check engine light

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by eightbol21, Jul 10, 2010.

1. eightbol21

eightbol21 Rockstar

my stupid light came on today and onstar told me it was an ignition issue that could cause no start and degraded engine performance. everything sounded fine and there is only 12000 on this thing. anybody had something like this happen before?

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

year, make, model, engine, might help since every truck mode lahs differnt issues.

3. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yes, year/engine would be good information. Considering it only has 12k miles, I'm guessing it is only a couple of years old. 1st step in diagnosis when the CEL comes on is to hook it up to a code reader and determine what trouble code is reported by the computer.

4. murdog94

Agreed, unless it is still under warranty then let the dealer handle it then you arent out any money and little time..

5. eightbol21

eightbol21 Rockstar

its an 09 with the 5.3 but light was off today and onstar said everything was cleared out. not bad i guess

6. murdog94

It is something i would still have checked.. Onstar only reads active codes. You will want the dealer to go in and actually find out why it came on in the first place because more than likely there is a problem. It just hasnt been produced in the last 3 starts.

7. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Good luck, and I hope you get it fixed! Keep us posted!

8. eightbol21

eightbol21 Rockstar

ill still get it checked out. electronic cars are too much these days.