Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Check engine oil level

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by Karloz5.3L, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Karloz5.3L

Karloz5.3L New Member

Just changed the oil on my 01 5.3L tahoe and i believe i mightve added a little too much oil. Now the message box is showing the " check engine oil level" message. Oil pressure looks fine,truck runs as usual,its just having the yellow thing flasshing bugs the hell outta me. Any ideas on how to reset it or someway to fix the problem? Or should i just wait untill the engine starts burning some of the oil and gets rid of the issue? Thanks guys in advance,.
    CGC

2. poncho62

poncho62 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I would drain a bit...Remove the filter and empty it. That may take out enough

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree. How much is "a little extra" Too much oil can cause foaming which equals no protection. I had my truck at a quick oil change (1st and only time) and they over filled it by 1.5 quarts. I did not get a check oil level light though. it was a 2003 5.3L

4. Karloz5.3L

Karloz5.3L New Member

Thanks for suggestion,i did go back and drained a bit,it mightv been about 3/4 of a quart bottle. Oil pressure shows good,oil dipstick went down just to whats recommended and. Couldnt be more relieved,i would hate to messup my baby. Crazy weather down in n.texas didnt let me gets my hands on it until yesterday..

5. deerslayer3503

deerslayer3503 New Member

After you drain it if it stays on I would try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes.

6. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Ive heard that you can also disconnect the battery and touch the pos and neg terminal leads together which will disappate any voltage in the system allowing a reset. Not sure how well or if this works just something I heard.