Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Check gauges light/trans not shifting

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 19suburban99, Aug 8, 2012.

1. 19suburban99

19suburban99 New Member

Hi, I have a 99 Suburban that has a check gauges lit up and the gauges don't work (no speedo/tech fuel gauge jumps around)and the trans doesn't shift and no overdrive. I can shift it manually 1st 2nd 3rd but still no overdrive. It has trouble codes for the shift solenoids and tcc but I don't want to change parts that I don't need too.Any ideas what is the cause. Thanks

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Did it all happen at the same time? If so I would start looking for a broken ground somewhere.

3. 19suburban99

19suburban99 New Member

Yes it happened at the same time. I turned it off and when I restarted the truck it's been that way.

4. Pikey

I will look around to see if I have a diagram for that truck. If i do, I will try to find some link between all the problems you are having. Who knows, maybe someone else will post an answer before I can track it down

5. 19suburban99

19suburban99 New Member

Ok Thanks. If it is a broken ground maybe it will help where to look for it.

6. Pikey

IMG_0307.jpg

I only had a few minuted to look into it today. Here is a diagram of the Vss control circuit. I would start looking at the ground for the PCM. I took one big picture and a picture of each half to try to get a closer view.

IMG_0306.jpg IMG_0305.jpg

7. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I would check for power supply voltages and ground. Start with the battery with engine off. With engine ON, test battery voltage make sure it is = or >13V <15V.

As far as the cluster ,trace the constant 12V feed and ignition switched 12V feed on the cluster connector. I would look for a power feed wire like a red or pink or orange wire. It would be nice to get hold of a schematic wiring diagram.

Then test the ground wire on the cluster connector resistance to chassis. Usually the ground wire is a black/white striped wire. it should have a very low resistance to good continuity. If the resistance is high, that will be suspect.

As far as the tranny not shifting, I would just take it to the dealer for diagnostics.

Good luck.

8. 19suburban99

19suburban99 New Member

So I cant find any grounding issues but I got the codes read P1860,P0758,P0740 and P0753. They are solenoid codes. I was told it might be the ignition switch does that sound right.

9. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Has anyone though about it might be a computer issue? The on board controls all of those systems so if it is malfunctioning then those systems all would be effected. Does the engine also run rough?

10. 19suburban99

19suburban99 New Member

No the engine runs great.