1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

check oil level light

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Cow_tipper 01, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Cow_tipper 01

Cow_tipper 01 New Member

so, my check oil level light comes on periodically. when it comes on it stays on for the whole day, but there are times when it doesnt come on for a few days. the last time i experienced a problem like this was in my grand prix and it was because i put thinner oil in the car for winter, so it wasnt reading the oil properly.

What does everyone believe it could be? also, is the sensor right on the oil pan?

thanks for the help!
  2. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

What is the level of oil when the light does come on? It sounds like faulty sensor but i am not sure.
  3. Cow_tipper 01

Cow_tipper 01 New Member

oil level seems to be fine at all times. i even tried smelling the exhaust to see if i would smell burning oil, and its fine, no leaks, so idk.
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

As mentioned Chromesilver02, it may be a Faulty Sensor??.....in the Diagram Below, Number #727 is the Oil Level Sensor, and Number #728 is the O-Ring Seal for the Sensor,

[​IMG]

Edit.....I would also mention, check the Wiring for loose and/or Bad Connection going to the Sensor??
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  5. Cow_tipper 01

Cow_tipper 01 New Member

awesome, i was looking for the diagram earlier so im glad you posted it! thank you!
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Your Welcome.....:glasses:.....when you find out what the Issue/Problem is, let us Know.
  7. Cow_tipper 01

Cow_tipper 01 New Member

definitely, ill be changing the oil this week/sometime soon, so ill do a little putzing around then.