1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Check out this article!! Alt energy fuels

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by GMCErica, Apr 22, 2012.

1. GMCErica

GMCErica Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I actually posted something a few days ago about them offering AGAIN natural gas for fuel due to the abundance of it they are finding in the marcelus shale.. A lot of controversy on the way they are extracting it but I like it. Ive worked with natural gas for the past 13 years and actually use to drill gas wells in the mid-90's. I see it as "Job Security"
  3. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Seems like a good move in the right direction to me but it seems a little pricy. Maybe like everything else once they begin to be mass produced the price will come down for that option. :great:
  4. Untouchable

Untouchable Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I just can't believe that it costs $11,000 more for the option. That's close to $50,000 for an LTZ if you get the upgrade...I think if they were serious about people getting this bi-fuel Silverado, they would make it a little more affordable. Not to mention, there's not many CNG stations around.
  5. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Yeah $11000 is quite pricey. It goes back to the other thread about your return on investment surreal started..I think if they want it to take off theyre going to have to do something making it worth the consumers while. And also create more cng stations to fill up. I know of 2 of them here in Buffalo but I hardly ever see anyone using them. Our local gas company had many cng vehicles but have since weaned them out. Not sure why but they may start bringing them back if cost warrants it.
  6. Keeper 76

Keeper 76 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Very interesting and yes it is a move in the right direction but as usual nothing good comes without a hefty price tag! Although I guess there is also the one about getting what you pay for too....and this is something worth looking into at the very least.
  7. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You can buy a LOT of gasoline for $11,000.00! Awesome concept but it would NEVER pay for itself in real world driving!
  8. lquattro04

lquattro04 Rockstar

As everyone else said, $11,000 is pretty rediculous. Regardless of CNG stations, I'm pretty sure you could fill up from the main line running into your house. You would have to put a regulator and valve on, but how awesome would it be never having to go to a gas station again! Unless you need a pack of smokes or a can of course haha.
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Federal subsidies would be required to get the price point down low enough for it to spread rapidly and gain consumer acceptance. That won't happen; Big Oil's lobbying money and interests will make sure it doesn't happen.
  10. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I suppose I am lucky. I work from home, so no commute and therefore, no gas. My truck is mostly a "pleasurecraft"... I don't even have to go buy smokes anymore! I switched to electronic cigs and now make my own liquid for them. I can make liquid in any of over 300 flavors and have enough product to last me for YEARS! My smoking habit went from a pack a day and about $150.00 per month to about $6.00 per month... and I like it MUCH better! WOOHOO!

Yyyyyep!