1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Check this out if you are into Obstacle races

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Pikey, Jan 14, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Last year I decided to get in better shape. I ran a 5k road race and enjoyed it. Came in 729th out of 7000. Then, I ran an obstacle race. 7th out of 700! I liked it so much more than road running. I started looking for just obstacle races rather than road races. I ran a few small races placing in 3rd in one and 1st in another. I found this race, http://www.herorush.com/events/, it is a national race. They are going to many states this year. I know that there are a few members here that run. If you are into running, I suggest you check it out. It was awesome! There are some crazy obstacles. Even if you don't like to run, the obstacles are pretty fun.
  2. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I don't know if you have or even heard of this but check it out. They do it pretty much everywhere once a year.
    http://toughmudder.com/
  3. Pikey

I have seen the race. They actually have one at MIS here in Michigan this year. I am not sure if I am ready to run 10-12 Miles :)
  4. Curky

I'm not a runner. I have to get a hold of my doc and see if I'm allowed to run and work out again. I think it has been long enough (2 yrs of healing) I would love to do this stuff
  5. Pikey

You would be surprised to see how many people show up that do not run. They walk or lightly job between obstacles. They just come for the fun of the obstacles.
  6. Curky

I think I might do this. I don't know if I can run it or be release to do so by doc but I sure think I might give it a shot anyway.
  7. Pikey

If I do well in Michigan I may also run the Ohio event. If I win in Michigan I will definitely be running Ohio. If you win they give you a free pass to another event, Ohio is the closest.
  8. forsakendemon

forsakendemon New Member

This looks like fun, would like to try it sometime.
  9. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 New Member 100 Posts

Looks like fun. I have done two obstacle races and about 3, 5ks. I dont really do them to win, but just do them. This past year, I did the warrior dash and it was a blast. Only a 5k, but it had about 10 obstacles. Did pretty well too. I am a huge fan of these races compared to the standard 5k. I get sick of running lol.

I read and article in Mens Journal about "obstacle" races. It pretty much talked about how these races had doubled in numbers each year over the last few years and the liability that comes with their popularity. During a tough mudder in AZ, one guy drowned trying to save other swimmers in a strong river current. He in Michigan, a Hope College student became paralyzed after diving head first into a mud pit during the warrior dash. He's trying to sue, even though he signed a waiver stating he would not just head first into the mud pit.

Sorry to bring out the negative issues with the races.

If you wanna do a race, let me know. I'm thinking about getting a team together for a tough mudder.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  10. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I am running a half marathon in April. The box I train at ran a tough mudder last year and they are looking into doing another one. The next event we are looking into is the Krispy Kreme challenge. You run 2.5 miles eat a dozen doughnuts than run 2.5 miles back. It started by a frat as a way to raise money for some charity. But has grown into a pretty big thing in the area.