1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Checking oil pressure when guage not working

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by cyberpine, Oct 20, 2009.

1. cyberpine

cyberpine New Member

87 c10 305 TBI. Oil pressure gauge is not working. Its all the way to the right?

Any way to check oil pressure without it?
    What are the likely causes for the guage not to work? Will I likely need to remove dash to fix it?

I went to Autozone to see if I could pull the codes on the Check Engine light but they said their device only works on 1990 and higher. Whats an economical way to get the codes out?

Thanks.

[​IMG]
  2. maxpower_454

maxpower_454 New Member

Your truck is old. Use the paperclip trick. I forget which ones to jumper though. i think the two on the top right of the connector? Not sure though, so you should check. just buy a haynes manual.
  3. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Check this site out for the paperclip test: http://www.aldlcable.com/

Won't likely reveal much in the way of the non-op oil pressure gauge.

Check the wire to the oil pressure sender, or the sender itself.

Located: Under hood, driver side, lower engine area, rear of exhaust manifold.

Yours should be part 25 others used part 22.

[​IMG]
  4. cyberpine

cyberpine New Member

unplugged, where did you get that diagram? Is there a complete online guide for these trucks? I've been looking at the one in autozone, but it's lacking.

I'm getting error code 34 MAP sensor(voltage low)

thanks.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Here a picture of the ALDL showing which pins to jump. If you want to know your actual oil pressure you have to remove the sender and screw in a pressure gauge. Unplug <no pun intended> the connector and see if the gauge changes. A grounded sender wire will peg your gauge like yours is pegged. If the gauge is still stuck you will have to remove the dash. It's not that hard to do.

[​IMG]
  6. unplugged

Here are three good sources. All can be found in the "General Tech Q&A" section:

OPLIN LiBRARY Chilton's Online Compnine Exploded Views

If you have problems with the OPLIN link, clear your cookies and retry.:glasses:
  7. cyberpine

cyberpine New Member

8. unplugged

Nice! Made this one a sticky over at General Tech Q & A.:sign0173: