1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Chevrolet Cobalt Ignition Recall. GM's poor decision.

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by the phantom, Feb 20, 2014.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Just saw on the world news tonight about an ignition recall on the 05-07 Cobalts. Apparently a heavy keychain can possibly turn the ignition into the accessory position while driving causing the vehicle to shutoff. I guess it was blamed for six deaths. GM was awhare of the problem and did not recall due to it not being a growing trend..They now have recalled them voluntarily before the government required them to. I guess if that happened to any of my family or friends I would be a bit upset.:grrrrrr:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

A lot of manufacturers were messing with key designs over the past 10 years and have had to issue recalls over something silly like the key fitting into the ignition properly.

3. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Yea, my daughter drives one and has been having problems with the car shutting off on her as she's driving.........Just started acting up on her last month.
    I sure hope they get this recall going pretty soon.

Not to mention the recall for the electric power steering motor. Someone fat fingered a vin entry and now the gm system says that hers was replaced when it's never been to a dealer..........and of course they are never wrong.

4. the phantom

If you saw the report on the cbs world news that I did you probably wouldnt want her to drive it at all.

5. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Scott_Anderson,

I understand that you may have some concerns regarding the open recall associated with your daughter's Cobalt. I would be happy to address any questions you may have. I will also look into your concern regarding the recall for the electric power steering motor. Please private message me your daughter's contact information, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership.

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care

6. the phantom

Again tonight on the world news this ignition recall was brought up again.. They featured the first linked death to the ignition problem. a girl that had been drinking(they didnt say how much)crashed and the airbags did not go off.. Basically telling them that the ignition was turned off before the crash. Apparently this girls adopted parents settled for an undisclosed amount agreeing to a confidentiality agreement. The biological mother had reunited with the girl a year previous to her death and had not received or signed anything.. She was telling the story..

The NHTSA statement was this 0227141905.jpg
    and this was GM's statement 0227141843.jpg

Im not trying to post this in negativity towards GM. I just hope people can learn to be awhare of problems while you are driving any vehicle that if the vehicle is doing something it shouldnt be doing, have it checked out!!! Do your research..As soon as there is enough evidence or data made available of a particular part failing on a vehicle that is safety related the sooner it could possibly save lives..

7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I was reading more about this today. My 2002 silverado would shut down unexpectedly after hitting a large bump or driving in really deep rutted snow. It happened 2 or 3 times. Every time the ignition switch was turned just a little out of the run "zone" on the switch. At the time I had a lot of unused keys on my key ring and it was pretty heavy. So, I took a bunch of keys off and it never happened again. One of the "fixes" that GM was doing I saw on the local news. it was just cutting a new key with a small hole centered in line with the key rather than having the long slot where your keyring goes that is the length of the back of your key. I am guessing that the weight of added keys hanging out there on the outer edge of the back of the key can have enough leverage to turn the lock cylinder. If I drove one of the recalled vehicles or knew someone that did I would urge them to remove all the other keys from their keyring or just use the GM key alone in the ignition until the recall is preformed.

IMG_1909.jpg

8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My 2005 ION is on the list for the recall and I got a letter in the mail last week about it. 9 years and 265k miles later, I thankfully don't have this issue. I keep 5 or 6 keys in addition to the car key and fob on the ring. I'll eventually get around to bringing it in for the recall, though I'm more doing it hoping they might be nice enough to grandfather in my faulty electric power steering motor. They twice put out a recall on the motor, but put mileage caps on it that I far exceeded.