Chevy 4X4 ... for real or not?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by johnnymac, Sep 10, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. johnnymac

johnnymac New Member

A guy at work who likes to brag says my Chevy HD is not really true four wheel drive and his toyota is. He says if one wheel gets stuck I will not be able to get out, while his Toyota will never get stuck?? Or if I lifted 1 wheel off the ground the others would not do anything.

2011 2500 HD towing package with locking differential 4:10 axle
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Is his Toyota equipped with the electronic locking rear diff? Can I assume your truck has a typical two speed, locking transfer case (2H, 4H, 4L)?

With those two assumptions made, especially in low range where speeds are low, you effectively have 3 wheel drive (assuming the G80 works as advertised) -- one front and both rear wheels. If he has a locking rear, too, then he effectively has 3 wheel drive as well - one front and both rear.

In terms of who will get stuck under what conditions, I expect the two are near equals. Your 2500 is likely heavier than his Toyota -- sometimes that will be an advantage, sometimes a disadvantage. The difference between the two trucks will probably be more about who's driving and how well he picks his line that what badge is on the truck's grill.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2013
  3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You have a locker so you'll never get stuck so he is very wrong, I think he's under the impression you have AWD not 4WD, but still gm AWD is designed to lock up when needed. Just use your smart phone (if you have one) go on YouTube and search Eaton locking diff and show him the videos.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

First off what model Toyota does he have?
    If its a truck the best he has is equal to yours on drive wheels unless he installed a front locker.
    Which I doubt since IFS eats cv's and pinion/gears when combined with a locker.
    Some earlier model land cruisers had locking center, front, and rear diffs which would crawl out of a lot of stuff, but not everything.
    obviously hes not very experienced if he thinks lockers will make his truck unstickeable.
    As an off roader it sounds like he has lots to learn.
  5. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Sounds like he's a 16 year old in daddy's truck.
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Send him my way! I will get him stuck!
  7. silverhobey

silverhobey New Member 100 Posts

awesome come Back Pikey...............make sure you post the Video if he shows up LOL.

Brian from Canada.....huh.just a 2WD owner ....oh well !!:neutral:
  8. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

But of course in the video he doesnt discuss the fsct that with an open or LSD you can kick in some park brake snd get the power to transfer to the other wheel.
    But then he was only selling the eaton, not showing how to overcome a problem.
  10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Yeah, there are ways to get around some of the issues that these products were designed to fix, but in general hard to discount how effective of a presentation this was for what most drivers are going to do ... they're gonna floor it when they feel themselves slipping.