1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Chevy Duramax MPG - Diesel mpg?

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by freddie, Jul 5, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. freddie

freddie Rockstar 100 Posts

I just recently purchased a 2005 duramax 4x4 with about 65000mi. I believe that it is the 6.6l turbo. It has a few up grades like a k&n cold air intake and a banks monster muffler. It seem to be getting about 15mpg. And I don’t think that is very good but I am not sure.

So I decide to run some lucus oil through to see if that may help but I have not run that tank out yet. Is there something else that I may need to check on the truck that could be causing the lack of mpgs? Or is this possibly as good as it gets?

2. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

That's about what I get around town in my 04.5 that I'm trying to sell, which is the same engine as yours. I can get up to 21 mpg on the interstate though. Of course mine also has a Banks Six-gun on it too.

3. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

15-20 is about normal for the Duramax LLY motor. Do you have your foot in it a lot? I know if this is your first diesel that you probably do like all others enjoying the power:glasses:. What size tires are you running?

If want to keep the truck running with no problems ditch the K&N filter. It is the worst thing you could have on a turbo diesel and will wear out the fins on the turbo. Also Lucas oil products are junk and I do not suggest you use them. If you really want to boost up your MPG all you need to do is exhaust from the downpipe back and a tuner. EFI Live is the best on the market but not for beginners. PPE or edge are also good choices.

If you want a good air filter send me the part number off that K&N and I will cross refrence it and hook you up with a AMSOIL EA filter that will offer much better protection.

4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

my uncle can get over 24 mpg all day long on his 05

5. freddie

freddie Rockstar 100 Posts

I am running 285/75/16 bfg at's. The part number off the k&n air filter is F041A12. I do need a new one because the fins on the air filter are messed up. This is my first diesel so I do think that my foot may have some to do with the mileage. Thanks alot for all of your insight!

Where would be a good place to purchase the PPE or edge products or maybe even the banks six gun? Seeing how I already have the banks monster muffler.

6. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm not finding that number F041A12, even on K&N's site. Can you send me or post a picture of the filter? Is it cone style?

Look at AMSOIL's universal filters here. click on See detailed EaAU specifications and photos and see if one matches yours.

I'd get the EDGE race it is one of the best out there. I have the Edge Juice with attitude and like it, but would like to go to the race.

7. ki4kma

ki4kma Member

Got 05 and we get about 18-21 riding around and about 13-15 towing

8. DamnBigPapa

DamnBigPapa New Member

Your foot needs to get used to the diesel

if you are new to the turbo diesel platform ... you'll find that you almost need to re-learn how to accelerate. I'm sure by now you have realized that if you slam it to the floor, the response is a lot different than with a gas V8.
    let the boost do the work. The old "act like there's an egg under the pedal' works well. I tried to keep my boost levels low and see what impact it had on mileage ... it was huge. Ease into the gas and let the turbo do the work. If you mash it, you might as well have a hole in the tank.

9. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

look into the 6 gun from banks. Great products. Also a light pedal is always good for the mileage

10. tattooed4life

tattooed4life Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

sct also makes great programmers.