Chevy Equinox forums

Discussion in 'Chevy Equinox Forum (GMC Terrain)' started by ChevyFan, Jun 5, 2007.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

I know we've got a few Equinox owners on here. Just curious how many.

www.chevyequinoxclub.com
  2. BINGO53

BINGO53 New Member

I'm One.

I got a Nox. I like it so far except for two little things that have annoyed me. First the leaky spare tire well, which seems to have been fixed. Now it is the fogging headlamp lens. Please see post regarding such.

I think the other Nox owners are posting elsewhere. It would be nice to see more of them post here. BTW, why is the Equinox subforum listed twice?

Respectfully,
    BINGO53 :great:
  3. kamanson

kamanson New Member

I have a 2005 Equinox. I have a 4 year lease on it.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

Fogging headlamps are a result of the newer style lights they're making, they're multi-part instead of a solid unit. Seal wasn't good on it.
  5. Pontiac Custom-S

Pontiac Custom-S New Member

I'm a NOX Owner

Greetings,

I'm a Nox owner and new to this site. I have a 2005 Equinox LT AWD, which I am keeping and plan to get a Pontiac Torrent or GMC Envoy in the future.
  6. houstonerica

houstonerica New Member

im a new owner

7. Equirado

Equirado New Member

Got one

I just got a 2005 Equinox to go with my Silverado =o) :great:
  8. wbca71

wbca71 New Member

I recently purchased a 2005 Equinox LT AWD. I love it, except for the mileage(see post)! Lots of upgrade opportunities for audio and video with room to spare!!!
  9. NHSilverado

NHSilverado Former Member

Just sold the 07 Silverado today due to financial issues. I work as a self employed finish carpenter and the housing slump is killing me. Been slow for 6+ months, getting slower, and no end in site for the slump. Also, my dog was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with a heart condition that will require $200+ p/month for med's. So, the truck had to go especially now with $3 gas and $4 gas coming soon.

Picked up an 08 Equinox AWD. So far it seems like a nice vehicle but it has been what 8 hours. :lol: Hard going from a full size 4WD truck( have owned them my entire adult life )to a small SUV/Crossover but you do what you have to.

Not many mod's planned. The stuff I do have planned are more functional items than a modification.

VentVisors
    Floor Liners
    Cargo Area Liner
    Mud Flaps
    Fog Lights
    Remote Start( Maybe - all it needs are the Key Fobs and a reprogram but that is $200+ )

No performance mod's planned at all other than synthetic fluids but I always run those be it car or truck. Just can't see adding exhaust, a CAI, etc... to a Soccer Mom Mobile. :rofl:
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  10. DieHardChevyBoy

DieHardChevyBoy New Member

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I've got a 2006 Nox and being a die hard Chevy fanatic I'm kind [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]of disappointed as far as the interior goes. the plastic cover on the visor mirror on the driver side broke off and the cigarette lighter fell out of its mount and the cup holders location sucks big time due to that fact that you cant set [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]your e-brake with a drink in the left side of the cup holder and I still don't like the window switches in the middle. Also the Seats are very prone to stains. Another down side is the amount of blind spots present while backing up. The rear window is so high up and small that if something's behind you that[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]s not at least 4.5 feet tall you cant even see it. As far as the good stuff about it is its fast for an SUV its got plenty of room for you and your passengers and some cargo.

As for exhaust if any Nox owner plans on getting exhaust I recommend the setup I have which I just replaced the stock muffler with a Flow Master 40 series and added a 3" rolled tip. It flows 10x better and sounds mean. Theres quite a few Nox owners where I live and I'm the only one Ive seen so far with exhaust.:glasses:[/FONT]
  11. jdchet

jdchet New Member

My wife drives a 2007 Equinox. After owning a 2003 Monte Carlo SS (what a nice car that was, but try puttin' a grandkid in a car seat in the back seat of one!)she is not impressed, to say the least, with her Equinox! I also would much rather be tooling around in my Silverado than the "Snox"!!That being said........the Equinox is not the kind of car that you will get excited about, but it does many things very well! You can fit a ton of crap or 4 generously sized adults and their crap in a "Snox" comfortably! Ride and handling are decent and the price is pretty close to a bargain IMO! The transmission is really smooth and the V-6 is quite peppy! The AWD is very good in bad weather. My only true beef with the Equinox is the fuel economy could be better! The wife and I just took a short trip for the weekend to visit her family and we decided to take our 19 month old granddaughter along for the visit. Well I was looking forward to another ride in the Silverado, but she put the kibosh (she does really like the Silverado) to that! Well puttin' a baby in a car seat in the back seat of an extended cab Silverado is not nearly as easy as in the back seat of the "Snox"! Plus our crap stayed dry in the back of the "Snox" versus the outdoors exposure of my "tonneauless" Silverado. After the trip I was glad we took the "Snox".Don't tell her I admitted that she was right!
    Definetely a car to consider at a price (about $25,000) that is not too bad by today's standards.
  12. NHSilverado

I have heard/read about beefs with the MPG in the Equinox. Usually it is 05 and 06 models( there are PCM flashes available via TSB's that deal with city MPG and transmission shift points to try and help overall MPG on the early models ). Less so with 07 and haven't heard any issues with the 08's. Frankly I have been very happy with the MPG I have received so far in my 08. While I still miss a FS truck I have to say the room in the Equinox is excellent and I have been blown away by how it has handled the bad winter we have had. Absolutely 100% honest here - this AWD Equinox has handled blizzards and Nor'Easters every bit as well as any 4X4 I have owned. Just GREAT in the snow.

Back to MPG...

So far, based on my overall fuel consumption to date, I am averaging a hair under 20 MPG( 19.89.... )for 60% city and 40% highway. When my driving is mostly city I see around 17-18 and when it is more highway I have seen 21-22 MPG. Actually, I just filled today after about 30 % City and 70% highway( I consider 45 MPH+ highway )and I got 21.9 MPG. I would have seen about 15-16 MPG in the truck for the same driving. The absolute worst I have seen was 14 MPG and that was 100% city stop and go driving with 3 hours of idle time( don't ask why :neutral: ). I have only made one all true 55 MPH+ highway trip but got 28.2 MPG on that. I am actually seeing slightly above what the vehicle is rated at overall and was very impressed with the one highway trip.

The Equinox is only rated at 17 City and 24 Highway( earlier models using the older EPA ratings were 19 & 25 - those equal out to the 08 ratings using the new system the EPA uses ) with a 19 average and it delivers on those numbers. I think too many people expect more from them MPG wise then they are designed to give. The Equinox is heavy at approx 3900 lbs and that really hurts MPG in city driving especially. Now, I do think MPG could be better if GM worked on it and I certainly hope the new model due out for late 09 as a 2010 model will be improved and more inline with what the competition gets for MPG. The Saturn SUV's with larger engines and more HP in the same basic body get better MPG. The 3.4L is an outdated engine that needs to go although it is plenty peppy. Just pretty much maxed out for fuel economy.

Overall for what I paid( $24K )I think it has been a good vehicle at least to this early point( 1500 miles ). I don't expect luxury options and performance from a base entry level vehicle. I also, as said, find the MPG to be acceptable at least based on the ratings. I am getting what is claimed or better so no complaints here.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  13. Clementi

Clementi New Member

Hey, I'm putting a new stereo in my friend's 05 equinox and it's different from my Toyota. There are two wiring harnesses going into the stereo instead of the just one on my car. Rather than just mess around until I figure it out, I was wondering if you could tell me what each of them are.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  14. NHSilverado

Sorry I don't have a wiring diagram to tell you what goes where. If you visit the site I will post below and register you can talk with a member there( kenneth I believe is his user name )that did a radio install on an Equinox and he spliced it rather than using a plug and play wiring kit. He should be able to help you out. http://equinoxcentral.com/

Couple notes...

1 - If you contact http://www.crutchfield.com with the year, make and model of your vehicle and tell them the mfg and model of the radio, as long as it is a brand they deal with, they should be able to sell you an installation kit for like $40-$50. The kit would come with mounting, plug and play( for the most part )wiring, and install directions. They provide them free if the radio is purchased from them but you can buy the kits seperate. I strongly urge you to consider this as it removes the need to splice or tap into the factory wiring harness. Just plug and play. When your friend goes to sell the Equinox or if he wants to change the radio back to stock it is easy. NO wiring to repair.

2 - You are going to need a special adapter harness to make the warning/door chimes function. On newer GM's the chimes are actually run through and by the radio head unit. If you replace it and don't use the adapter( with a built in Dinger :glasses: )you will lose all warning signals in the vehicle( ie; door ajar with key in, seat belts, warning notice, etc... ).

3 - If the vehicle was ordered with the OnStar option( was option in 05 not standard )you also need another adapter harness. Without it your OnStar will not work properly as it too runs through the factory headunit.

4 - If you have radio controls on the steering wheel you will need yet another adapater harness for them to work if the radio you are using supports it.

* - Crutchfield can supply you with all the adapters you need. They are not cheap however. Could run you $300+ but it is the ONLY way for these thinsg to work if they are in your friend's Equinox.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2008
  15. eqm08

eqm08 New Member

new guy

i just bought an 05 equinox and its great i also have a 92 yukon 4x4 and its hard to chose which one i like better
  16. Clementi

Clementi New Member

Thanks NHSilverado, I got the stereo working but two problems came up.

1. Long story short, I need a new male wiring plug for the hazard lights/ turn signals. It's the brown plug with 8 wires coming out of it. Anyone know a site I could find one?

2. The radio antenna wouldn't plug into the female plug on the Kenwood headunit, is there an adapter I need?

thanks
  17. NHSilverado

1 - try rock auto. If they don't have it chances are you won't find it outside the dealer. If you can't locate it in the online catalog give them a call or e-mail and ask. They have a TON of this stuff but sometimes it can be hard to locate on their web site the way it is set up. You can also try any of the various online or local salvage yards as well.

http://www.rockauto.com/

2 - Here are the two antenna adapters for 86-UP GM vehicles. Says you need both( I would think one would work but? )...

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=119400&i=12040GM20&tp=2569
    http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=119400&i=12040GM10&tp=2569
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  18. Clementi

Clementi New Member

Thanks again. I see I just need one of the radio adapters- the one that is motorola male and GM female.

Rockauto doesn't have the part I need, do you think the dealership is going to try to charge me some ridiculous amount for a simple plug with 8 wires?
  19. NHSilverado

Unfortunately, yes. Try a salvage yard.
  20. Easy Xjer

Easy Xjer New Member

Have 2 -05 Nox's both LT's. One with 70k other with 40k. Had to replace the Chinese headgaskets on the high miler at 68,000. Ride is great, corners great, pretty good mileage at 22 highway@75-85 mph cruise. CONS hate the useless worthless center console. Would also like to have better control over trans,steep downhills have no option to use 3rd gear for braking. Any electrical engineers out ther can figure out how to make a manual 3rd gear switch?
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2008