1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Chevy Grille Conversion ~ Remove GMC Grille

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by ricky.jimenez, Apr 1, 2013.

1. ricky.jimenez

ricky.jimenez New Member

I want to take the gmc grille off of my truck and put a chevy one on. what parts would I need to do the swap. any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I can't answer that, but what I can say is that it'll probably help to provide the year, make, model, and (i.e. 2004 GMC Sierra 1500) that you have AND the year, make, and model grille to which you want to switch. With that information, someone who knows more about the grille/nose component interchangeability might be able to help you. As it stands, you've note provided enough information with which to work.
  3. ricky.jimenez

ricky.jimenez New Member

sorry I forgot to! it's a 1996 gmc Sierra.
  4. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts

and what is the Chevy grill?
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

And what Silvy year grille are you looking to go to?

It matters because you can't expect 1:1 parts interchangeability based on year. For instance, my 04 Sierra only has 3 bulbs in its tails ... while 04 Silvy tails have 4. The Silvy tails I can use on my Sierra are 99-02 Silvy tails -- which have 3 bulbs. (I learned this the hard way.)

Some parts are completely interchangeable (example: radiator and/or fan shroud, usually) ... and some not. I don't know what's involved on the nose or what is/isn't interchangeable.
  6. I gonna piggy back on this(sorry). But I am looking at getting new lug covers, and I have a 05 Silvy 2wd with 17' OEM rims, and I was wondering if the GMC 6 lug cover will fit my Silvy. It takes the 6 lug cover. Thanks!

side note- I don't care that the covers say gmc. I'm gonna paint them black over the emblem anyways.
  7. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Active Member 1000 Posts

i think they will go right on with those style rims.

Alex
  8. ricky.jimenez

ricky.jimenez New Member

I have a 96 gmc with a gmc front grill, i want to take it off and put the 94-98 chevy grill, wasn't sure what all i would need to it on.
  9. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts

I don't know for sure. I would have to do the same thing you are going to have to do. Just do it. It should go together. You might need a clip if you break one. It should not be to bad. I would just do it and if you have to run up to the auto store to pick up a $2 part or something.
  10. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I am pretty sure that it is an exact swap. It is not like some of the NBS or NNBS trucks that used a different bumper for the sierra and silverado. I know a guy that did an escalate swap on a 1996. He had to change the fenders also, but everything bolted right up. Going from a GMC to Chevy grill on your year truck should be as simple as removing the old grill and bolting the new grill in. [MENTION=57614]stchman[/MENTION] is going to love the fact that you are doing away with a GMC grill! :lol: