Chevy loyalist looking for upgrade information (usually), sometime help!

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by KRCaddis, Aug 29, 2012.

1. KRCaddis

KRCaddis New Member

I've got an 85 Chevy Cheyenne C20 I recently bought with 28,500 miles for regular ranch and upcoming use in moving. It has the usual 350 engine and an auto transmission with 4.10 gears and 8 lug wheels. It's rust free and all original as far as I can tell, though it had a recent spray over the light metallic blue. Dual tanks, long bed fleetside, sliding rear window, AC (worked when I bought it but compressor leaked). I'll be looking on advice on improving mileage, possibly by switching rear ends, finding decent speakers for the new Kenwood, maybe a more efficient tranny? Used parts are my method as it is a work truck. I will take care of it, but it's likely only going to get 10k miles while I own it - for 10 years hopefully.

I'm open to suggestions!

KRCaddis
    also current:
    1961 Morris Minor pick up, fresh restore & "hotted up" w/ 1275cc Midget engine, HD sway bars, lowered 2", Poly suspension bushes, Fr Discs, Miata seats, 1/4" AL diamond plate bed floor, inside tailgate, tinted glass, Smiths gauges & tach, Pioneer Stereo & 6x9 speakers, Sentra 14x6" 7 spoke alloys, 195x 60 rubber 15" Peretti mahogany and AL steering wheel, Sea Foam Mist paint.-
    1969 Morris Minor Traveller (woody) driver, Right hand Drive, all original, 1098cc Project. all new parts, including wood kit. FOR SALE $7500 obo
    1994 Porsche 968 driver
    2005 Honda Element driver

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome aboard.
    Sounds like a nice find.
    If your only planning on putting 10K on it over 10 years I'm not sure I'd even mess with the gearing, the expense wouldnt come back to you in that amount of miles.
    85, youve got the turbo 350 3 spd right? You could look into a 700R4 4 spd trans, it might be a cheaper swap than the gears, but still it'll probably cost more than it recoups.
    In the end the best decision might be at lube time to change to synthetics, give it a good tune-up, watch the tire pressures, and practice smooth driving.
  3. donyms

donyms New Member

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you aboard. :glasses:
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

We are the Borg. Lift your vehicle and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Erm, I mean ... welcome to GM Truck Club! @tbplus10 has given you solid advice to go with your very low planned usage pattern. :great:
  5. Curky

Curky New Member

Welcome to the club
  6. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM New Member

Welcome to the club!
  7. retired2001

retired2001 New Member

Welcome to the G M T C !