1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Chevy Malibu Power Steering Recall - List of years

Discussion in 'Chevy Malibu Forum' started by ChevyFan, Apr 2, 2014.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

So, we've all heard that General Motors is doing another recall. This time it's on more than 1.3 million vehicles in the U.S. that may experience a sudden loss of electric power steering assist.

If power steering assist is lost, a message displays on the Driver Information Center and a chime sounds to inform the driver. Steering control can be maintained because the vehicle will revert to manual steering, but greater driver effort would be required at low vehicle speeds, which could increase the risk of a crash.

CHEVY MALIBU POWER STEERING RECALL

2004 Chevrolet Malibu: All Models
    2005 Chevrolet Malibu: All Models
    2006 Chevrolet Malibu: Some Models
    2007 Chevrolet Malibu: Not currently part of the recall. ???
    2008 Chevrolet Malibu: Some Models
    2009 Chevrolet Malibu: Some Models

Depending on the vehicle, GM will replace free of charge either the power steering motor, the steering column, the power steering motor control unit or a combination of the steering column and the power steering motor control unit. Customers who previously paid for repairs of these parts would be eligible for reimbursement.

In addition, 309,160 non-turbocharged Chevrolet HHRs from the 2006-2008 model years (and several hundred 2009 models) and 96,324 Saturn IONs from the 2003 model year that are not subject to these recalls will be given lifetime warranties for replacement of the electronic power steering motor.

So this begs the question. Why is the 2007 Chevy Malibu exempt from this recall?
    I was just asked this question, so I have sent a message to GM to see if I can get an answer on this. I'm sure it's something that a lot of 2007 Chevy Malibu owners want to know. Once I get an answer back I will post it to the OP in this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

I know we have some Malibu owners on here, in fact my Mother-In-Law has one of these vehicles. I'm going to check with her to see if she's got a recall notice or not from GM.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm still waiting back on the message from GM, but I just heard from a parts & service director that the reason why 2007 models and some 2006, 2008 and 2009 Malibus are not on the list is that is depends on the part supplier who made the part. So, even though the part number is the same, they came from different vendors.

I'm not sure if that's the answer that GM is going to give us, but that's what I was told by someone who claims that he was told to box up and ship back certain lot numbers of some of these parts that were in his warehouse because they're probably from the bad vendor.

On another note, I was told that the letters will go out this week and they expect to start getting the new parts into dealerships next week or the week after that, so no earlier than the second week of April.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Any info on how owners can find if their vehicle is covered?
    Ive got a 2008 sitting in the driveway.

3. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Hi tbplus10,

I apologize for any inconvenience caused by the Malibu power steering recall. If you would like, you can PM us your VIN and contact information. We are expecting information to become available about which specific vehicles will be affected by this recall at some point next week, at that point we will be sure to follow up with you.

Have a great day,

Austin J.
    GM Customer Care

4. Stacey C

Stacey C New Member

I have a 2007 Malibu with the same OEM Part Number as the other recalled models with the same power steering issues. GM advised last year to have a diagnostic completed at a my local dealership. Did that and paid over $100 for it. Diagnostic reported current error code C0475-00. Per doc 1239320 says to replace power steering column. As instructed, I provided this diagnostic report to GM and they were going to get back to me regardng repair. Never heard from them. Now the recall on this issue excludes the 2007 model and GM cannot expain why when I call. Anybody have any information on this??

5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've been told by GM's spokesman for these recalls that they will notify customers via letter starting near the end of this month.

However, before they do that they have to 1) inform the dealers of what to expect, 2) load the VINs into the service database so dealers can see which VINs are part of the recall, and then they have to 3) work with suppliers to expedite the parts needed for this recall.

Once all that logistical stuff is taken care of and I assume documented, GM will then send out a second letter telling customers when parts are available so they can schedule an appointment to get the recall done.

Now, that being said, I made the statement in email to GM that customers are going to be confused and a little bit ancy about this, and calls are going to start flooding into dealerships across the country. Moreover, without a specific statement as to why the entire year 2007 is not part of the recall, people are doing to be suspicious and skeptical about the claim that all parts on 2007 vehicles are not failing.

They did respond to me about that question, but only said to the effect that the issues leading the a loss of assist in the recalled parts do not exist in the models and model years that are not part of the recall or lifetime warranty coverage plans announced earlier this week.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  6. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Stacey C,

We recognize your concerns and apologize that you’ve been affected by the recent recall release. A letter about the recall will be sent out to customers who's vehicle is associated with the recall. That letter will have information regarding reimbursement.
    Once you have received the letter, please contact us if you any questions or concern regarding this matter.

Thank you,

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care