chevy rim width

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by cadillacjacks, Feb 8, 2011.

1. cadillacjacks

cadillacjacks New Member

I own a 95 chevy silverado with standard width rims, I am wondering if its ok to put wider rims on truck 8.5-10 inch the tires are P235 75 R15

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

You will need to figure out the offset to make sure they dont rub, and 235s i think wont fit on anything over an 8in rim.. may be wrong but just make sure the offset is right and go from there,.

3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

This might help with you with the terminology and the fitment a little bit Cadillac. . Even though it says aftermarket wheels, the same applies to your stockers. Just remember backspacing & positive or negative offset are key for what you're doing.

BACKSPACING & OFFSET

Before mounting a set of aftermarket wheels, there are some dynamics involved with fitment that are best to understand first.
    1. Wheel Diameter. This is the diameter of the wheel. Stock wheels are commonly 15 or 16 inch diameter. This dimension is usually in 1 increments (i.e. 15, 16, 17) but some manufacturers offer 16.5, which is rare.

2. Wheel Width. This is the width of the wheel, measured inside the outer lip of the wheel. This dimension is usually in 1/2 increments (i.e. 7.5, 8)

3. Wheel Center. This is the center of the wheel in relation to the width.

4. Offset. The distance from the centerline of the wheel to the face of the mounting surface of the wheel that contacts the hub4.1 Zero Offset. Indicates the mounting surface is at the wheel center.

4.A. Negative Offset. Indicates the mounting surface is behind (or inboard) the centerline of the rim. This is often found on standard rear-wheel-drive vehicles and on so-called reversed rims. (Diagram below shows negative offset)

4.B Positive Offset. Indicates the mounting surface is in front of (or outboard) the centerline of the rim. This is often found on front-wheel-drive vehicles. Stock Tacoma wheels have Positive offset.

5. Backspacing. The distance from the mounting surface to the inside lip of the wheel. This measurement is closely related to offset (without actually measuring, backspacing is about equal to [Wheel Width / 2] + [Offset] + [about 1/4] ).

6. Centerbore. The centerbore of a wheel is the size of the machined hole on the back of the wheel that centers the wheel properly on the hub of the car. This hole is machined to exactly match the hub so the wheels are precisely positioned, minimizing the chance of a vibration. This measurement may be critical to clear the hubs of a 4WD.

7. Bolt Circle. Also known as PCD (Pattern Circle Diameter). The bolt circle represents the diameter of an imaginary circle that goes through the center of the bolt holes. 4x2 Tacoma Bolt Circle: 5 lug on 4.5 PCD; 4x4/Prerunner Tacoma Bolt Circle: 6 lug on 5.5 PCD.
    [​IMG]
    (Diagram: Alloy Wheel Cross-Section)

4. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome!!!

5. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site!

6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

******thread moved here********

7. inspectormatt

inspectormatt Member

I have had 265/75R16 on stock rims on my 1993 Suburban K1500 with no problems rubbing. Also had 32x11.5x15 on aftermarket rims with no problems. and my Suburban has no lift kit in it.

8. COLIN DE

COLIN DE Former Member

It would help A LOT if you would specify the body style. The wheelbases are as follows.
    Regular cab, short bed. 108.3"
    Regular cab, long bed. 117.9"
    Extended cab. 122.9"
    I don't have the track dimensions handy.

9. inspectormatt

inspectormatt Member

Im not sure of the wheelbase, I think its over 122", but regular suburban 4dr body style. I would like to go with LT285/75R16 on stock rims, but that may be too much. I also have had 255/70R16 on the suburban too.

10. chris8408

chris8408 New Member

Hello all,

Am new here and Im glad I found this site, looks pretty cool. I had a question regarding offset. Im looking at getting the pro comp 8128 series wheel in 17x8.5 with 0mm offset, and 4.75" BS w/ 285/70/17 BFG KM2s. I have a 2010 silverado crew cab and I'm wondering if any of you are running a similar setup or have pictures of what I can expect as far as how far my wheels will stick out or if I would encounter any rubbing issues (have a 2.5" rancho quick lift/level). Thanks for the help!