1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Chevy Silverado 1500 question

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by scewter, Sep 28, 2009.

1. scewter

scewter New Member

Hi folks, new to the forum...

I'm looking at purchasing a 2005 Silverado 1500 4WD Ext Cab, Standard Box, Z71. The truck has a 5.3L Alum 310hp engine (L33?). Overall the truck appears to be in excellent shape.

I was wondering if there is anything in particular I should pay close attention to as I look this vehicle over. I'm planning on having a mechanic go over the truck before I buy it and was wondering if anyone cared to share their comments regarding this model/year of the 1500.

Thnx in advance,

Looking forward to re-joing the Chevy Truck family after a 20 year absence.
  2. War Eagle

War Eagle New Member

I don't know if you might care about this but I had a 2005 5.3 2wd ext cab that I purchased new and the ext cab doors where very hard to shut. I had to practically slam them to get them to close correctly, otherwise there was wind noise and they rattled. Granted I didn't open them very much so that may have been some of the problem, they never got properly broken in, but never the less it did bother me. Other than that I loved the truck.
  3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The door hinges are not very strong. Any wind noise in the front doors indicates broken welds on the hinges. Take a good look at those. Expensive to fix since the truck is out of warranty.
  4. Darknesss23

Darknesss23 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

my dads 2004 has the black plastic bed caps... when it gets really hot in the summer they start to warp... keep an eye out for that...
  5. DIGS16

DIGS16 Rockstar 100 Posts

wait what u mean the hinges break... please explain since i have a 04 silverado lol