Chevy Silverado 2010 Differential Sound

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Majed, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Majed

Majed New Member

Hi,

I own Chevy Silverado 2010 LT, Auto transmission.
    For last few days im hearing a humming sound from the front differential when the car is in auto.
    When i put it on 2WD there is no sound.

What can be the problem. i checked the fluid level its ok.

Any Suggestions?

2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

as the vehicle ages you will get some sound from the front diff when in auto or 4wd. also a slight vib .

do not use this vehicle in any 4wd selection on dry solid pavement. this will cause damage to the drive train. only use 2wd high .

also be sure to rotate the tires often 10-13K miles to ensure they are all at the same wear .

3. Majed

Majed New Member

Thanks J. Cat for the suggestion, I have new tires and I'm not a off road guy. The car is on 78,000km.

Any other thing which I can change and fix the problem?

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You can change the fluid in your front diff. You have about 50000 miles on it, so now would be a good time. I have an 05 with a new front diff and new transfer case. I get the same noise you describe in auto and in 4wd. I only use 4wd, I never use auto. I only use 4wd when there are 6+ inches of fresh snow.

5. j cat

the drive train fluids should be checked at every oil change for level and color.

when my silverado was new I had to replace the front diff fluid every 5,ooo miles 3X then the oil stayed clean. I was getting a discoloration of the oil. after that I replace at the 40,000 mi mark with just normal light duty trucking..

6. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

The vehicle the OP has is still under the 5 year 100K mile powertrain warranty. Take it to the dealer and let them look at it.

7. Majed

Majed New Member

I changed the fluid but still the same...

I will take it to the dealer but it will cost me fortune just to have checked up. :(

8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If you are under 100,000 miles it will be covered under power train warranty as [MENTION=39185]j cat[/MENTION] mentioned.

9. Majed

Majed New Member

sure i will give a try from the dealer. :)

10. j cat

my guess is this is normal. have the dealership go with you for a short ride and most likely this will be just a normal sound with this in 4wd....

If your from canada you may have to pay .. with your mileage what drive train fluids have you replaced ? did you have the rear diff cover removed cleaned and the oil replaced .

normal hum from the rear diff is also the norm.... replacing the rear diff fluid and cleaning out the box/magnet causes the rear diff to work faster and more efficiently.

good luck ...