1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Chevy Silverado 4x4 vs Z71 Series

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by truckin89, Feb 19, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. truckin89

truckin89 New Member

What is the dif in 4x4 and z71 offroad for Chevy Silverado trucks?
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2011
  2. Kamd91GMC

Kamd91GMC New Member

well, from wat I know...the sticker and the z71 has the bigger factory tire option. but the 4x comes factory with a higher gear ratio and a lower gear'd 4th gear in the automatic transmission
  3. jmonte3

jmonte3 New Member 100 Posts

i'm pretty sure the z71 comes with an off road suspension and the regular 4x4's don't, or atleast thats what they told me at the dealership
  4. MWright936

MWright936 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've also heard the Z71 package has the better off-road suspension. I'm not sure beyond that.
  5. truckin89

truckin89 New Member

Thx for the quick answers guys I'm just doing research b4 I buy
  6. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

A few thousand dollars!!! :lol: but seriously the z71 may sit a little higher and it has a different shock package, I think the noticable difference is cosmetic more than any thing really substantial, if your going to lift it, it kinda negates spending the money for what amounts to a decal!! although i really love my decal:glasses:
  7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Differance between 4x4 and Z-71

The Z-71 has stiffer torsion bars or springs depending on year, tranny cooler, power steering cooler, oil cooler (depending on engine) skid plates, larger diameter gas shocks, high volume air filter, and of course the decals.
  8. jchambers849

jchambers849 New Member

I bought it for the skid plates, shocks, and tranny cooler. They were all things I needed anways and if I were to add/fabricate them myself, they would cost a LOT more than the extra $400 or so it added to the sticker of the truck... I think the z71 is a steal of a deal if you need it. It does ride a bit stiffer, but I like that.

Also, it comes with those awesome stickers. It seems as though older Z71's (mid 90's models) get more money for resale. Is the same true for the silverado?
  9. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The suspension is different, the shocks are more suited for off road use. Also included with the Z71 package is skid plates on the 1/2 ton. Most 3/4 ton and higher have the skid plates automatically so the only difference is suspension. Some Z71's also have the E80 rear end, it's an auto locker that works pretty good. I hope this helps.
  10. truckin89

truckin89 New Member

so basically better suspension right? any engine differences besides the tranny and oil coolers?