1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Chevy Silverado Stereo Replacement

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by ChevyFan, Jul 10, 2009.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I've seen a lot of talk recently from folks that are looking to install a new double-height stereo head-unit in their 1990's Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra, Chevy Suburban and Chevy Tahoes.

The purpose of this thread is to introduce you to an aftermarket service provider that can supply you with a quality conversion kit that's made-in-the-USA, durable, designed-to-fit and well thought out to solve your problem.

Let's face it, factory stereos go out, they fail and stop working proply after a number of years. When it's time to upgrade you need to get a conversion kit. The 1995 - 1999 Chevy Silverado trucks hold a din and a half (three inch - 3") stereo, while all the newest cool stereos are the full double-din.

Who's interested in getting a full-height stereo in their 1995-1999 Chevy Silverado? Let me know and I can hook you up.

Anyone have any questions? Please PM me and I can hook you up with a good vendor. Maybe one day they will help advertise on here.

Chevy Stereo Installation Keywords:
    1995 Chevy Silverado Stereo Installation
    1996 Chevy Silverado Stereo Installation
    1997 Chevy Silverado Stereo Installation
    1998 Chevy Silverado Stereo Installation
    1999 Chevy Silverado Stereo Installation
    1995 Chevy Suburban Stereo Installation
    1996 Chevy Suburban Stereo Installation
    1997 Chevy Suburban Stereo Installation
    1998 Chevy Suburban Stereo Installation
    1999 Chevy Suburban Stereo Installation
  2. jsegs02

jsegs02 New Member

Is it possible to drop a newer facroty delphi unit (2006 H2 6 disc changer unit for example) into my 2003 silverado? just curious, seems like i can get those units pretty cheap on ebay, and i'd rather stay with a gm factory unit that an aftermarket one.
  3. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado New Member 1000 Posts

yeah, all you have to do is get it unlocked at the dealer if it is locked
  4. denoje13

denoje13 New Member

I am more interested in what to do with the factory cd player hole for a 1998 silverado. I dont want it to look rigged together. Is there a kit for just installing a color mached blank?
  5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Are you asking about the Blank spot where the Factory Single C/D player went??.....If so there is a Cubby pocket you can buy....to go in that spot..

Link to Cubby pocket,
    http://visual-efex-llc.amazonwebstor...B000K4YO6W.htm

You can also pickup the Cubby pocket,At the....C/K Resto......G.M. Parts Direct....for around.....$20.00/$25.00....

Below is another Cubby Pocket that I installed in my Truck, in place of the Factory C/D Player.....The G.M. Part number is # 15958734.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  6. csltrains96

csltrains96 New Member

I've been looking for a way to replace the factory radio in my '89 Silverado. Does anybody make a radio to go into the spot where the AM/FM/Volume controls are in the dash of an '89 Silverado? And I don't mean in the center of the console under the A/C vents. I would like to get a radio that goes next to the gauge cluster right above the heat/AC controls. Any info out there? Thanks.
  7. Stan Uptagrafft

Stan Uptagrafft New Member

Hey Steve, I have 1996 Tahoe and I am interested in double din. What info do you have?
  8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Looks like a lot of people are interested in this ... lets get a vendor on this.
  9. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I know this is kind of old at this point, but you're not likely going to see this. The width available in that spot is not wide enough to get a CD player mechanism in. Generally the radio makers stick with the DIN form-factor, which is the typical size aftermarket radio you see. The DIN form factor was developed partially from the space typically allowed by the OEM holes in the dash and the DIN form factor is about as small a space as you can fit all the required components in.
  10. csltrains96

csltrains96 New Member

Ok, so a CD player won't fit in that spot. How about one of these new "mechless" media receivers? Just a radio with a USB port, and an iPod/Zune control hookup?

Also, my factory radio is giving me alternator whine. If I end up keeping it - where would be the best place to look for what is causing this? You used to be able to buy a capacitor at Radio Shack that you would connect between the power wire to the radio and the ground. This was supposed to shunt the alternator "AC" signal that was coming through the DC power wire to ground, eliminating the whine. Can you still do this in the '89?

Thanks