1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Chevy Stock Stereos

Discussion in 'Chevy Colorado Forum (GMC Canyon)' started by tokin20deuce, Jan 9, 2008.

1. tokin20deuce

tokin20deuce New Member

I used to have an '01 Malibu. I had installed a soundsystem in there (new head unit, 2 12's, 2 amps, new speakers) but needed to keep the old cd player in the trunk with an adapter because the brain of the car was held in there. I guess it had some kind of thing that, if the cd player was stolen from the car, the car would shut down and not work. Apparently Chevy started doing this back in 2000 or 2001. I have since upgraded to an '07 Colorado, and it too has a stock stereo in there. I was wondering if Chevy still did this. I would like to get a new head unit for my Colorado, and would like to reinstall my old system into my truck, but I don't have an owners manual (where I originally found this out for the Malibu). Does anybody know anything about this? Any Colorado owners that can relate to this question? Thanks.
  2. Sooner

Sooner Rockstar

Give Best Buy a call and tell them what you're wanting to do. They'll be able to tell you what you need to know and sell you a head unit at the same time. LOL