1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Chevy Suburban Club

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by ChevyFan, May 5, 2005.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Relax, kick your feet back and enjoy the site while you talk about the Chevy Suburban and GMC Suburban.
  2. 67Cowboy

67Cowboy New Member

4x4 Suburban Axle &steering Box Swap ???

Guys I just bought a 69 K-10 Suburban and in the spirit of the way I do things, I'd like to make it a K-30 with disc front brakes and power steering and at least Dana 60 axles I am running a 465/205 on stock CLOSED type axels with manual steering. I'd like to know if any one has swapped the mid 70s type Dana sixties into a pre 1970 4X4 ?!?
    ARE THE SPRINGS THE SAME ?
    WILL THE POWER STEERING BOX BOLT UP?
    Is there any brackets, bolts or kits that I'll need ???
    WILL I NEED SPECIAL U-JOINTS?
    WHAT ARE THE BEST DONNER VEHICLES FOR AXELS AND STEERING GEAR ?
    ARE THERE ANY THREADS ON THIS SITE WITH PHOTOS ???????

Attached Files:

3. Airezenmaster

Airezenmaster New Member

That's a nice 69 Burb ! I put a power steering box out of a73 chevy pu and it bolted rite up allthe way up to 88 will work fine .
  4. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

The Dana 60 was used by GM from 1977 to 87 in all K30s. After 1987 it was only used in the crew cab K30s until 1991 . There was no 1 ton 4x4 before 1977. 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons used either a Dana 44 or later a 10 bolt front axle.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  5. janikphoto

janikphoto Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Wow!!! That will be a fun project! And, I assume when you typed the word donner, you were meaning donor vehicles, right? I believe the above posts are correct that you have pretty wide latitude regarding donor years.