Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Chevy Suburban vs Tahoe vs Traverse. Would you drive a Suburban again?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by ChevyFan, Dec 26, 2011.

?

Suburban vs Tahoe vs Traverse ~ What's the most practical overall?

1. Suburban is the most useful regardless of gas prices

15 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. Tahoe offers the best mix of size and space

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. Traverse is more car-like but can still carry seven

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

We have a family of 5 now, so it's very easy to want to get into a Suburban to haul them around town ... especially now that gas is back into the $2.80's here in North Texas.

But, what if it goes back up to $5.00 per gallon again? Will I be stuck with a gas-hungry suburban? Would it surprise you to know that I got 21 mpg highway in the 2011 Suburban I drove for work for a couple of months? It's true!

If you have to choose, do you go for the Traverse, the Tahoe or the Suburban?
    Thoughts on this please. Tell us what you're driving as well if it's not if your signature.
  2. marko54

marko54 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I say go with the suburban. If you go smaller, you cant go bigger without trading in again and you never know when you might need the suburbans cargo/passenger capacity. i have the 6.0 so my fuel milage is lower, but not that bad. they arent the gas hogs folks think they are. the more i look at mine, the more i like it.
  3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My 1998 C1500 Suburban got 21 mpg on two long- 3000 miles each-roundtrips from New Orleans to Flagstaff AZ and back
    It was a HUGE surprise to me- it had 195,000 miles on it when I bought it 5 years ago.
    Didn't really expect over 20 mpg-Expected maybe 15-16mpg or so.
    Probably went right by you-I 20 then I-635E then Hy 287 then I-40 right across N Texas-gas sure as heck wasn't $2.80 our last trip-summer 2008.

Are you talking NEW?? If new I might pass on the Suburban since we are talking $40000+ and the trade in on 1/2 SUVs was HORRIBLE during the last price runup.You never know when you might have to bail out of it-and impossible to bail on a guzzler if prices spike again.
    Used-then Suburban is the way to go.You can get a 2004-under 100,000 miles- for maybe $9000 now-hard to beat that-and if you wait a bit-for gas to spike-which it always does since the oil companies and OPEC and various speculators eventually figure a way to get every last cent out of us-Suburbans will drop in price again.
    Used-get Suburban- new-get more FE vehicle.Money no concern-Suburban.
    Charlie
  4. TMair

TMair Member

I have a 2004 Suburban, and so far I love it, I have only had it a few months, I traded in a 2002 Silverado, and a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer for it, cut my insurance in half, my Trailblazer had the inline six in it and it did not get all that much better milage then the Suburban gets, and I can hall eight people comfortably in my Suburban, I could only hall four in the Trailblazer, and if they were adults they were not comfortable!
    I would get another Suburban.
    Terry
  5. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Is there really enough difference between a Suburban and a Tahoe to mention? I haven't looked at the newest ones, but, traditionally, the Tahoe had the same drivetrain as the Suburban, basically the same gas mileage, and everything -- only difference was wheelbase and cargo space. As long as that comparison holds up, with 4 kids, I say there's no sense even considering the Tahoe.

The Traverse (in the era I generally compare it would be a Blazer or similar), on the other hand, is a trickier comparison. Smaller overall, smaller engine, so the smaller SUV/crossover would get better gas mileage. But it would be real squeeze to fit all of us and our junk in when you want to go for several days. If you end up hauling a trailer or putting a roof rack on to manage your junk, would you lose enough gas mileage so that you end up where the Suburban was.

Suburban still seems to me the best overall choice for what I need.
  6. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

The Tahoe is just a Suburban with less interior space so why bother. The Traverse is rated at 16 mpg city/23 mpg hwy and a new 2wd half ton Suburban is rated at 15 mpg city/21 mpg hwy so the Traverses' mileage isn't a real reason to overlook the less power, less interior space, low ground clearance, unibody chassis, less towing ability, and the embarrassment of driving what is esentially the same vehicle as the Griswalds' family truckster.
  7. TMair

TMair Member

Ok now I am going to have to watch that again!!
    Terry
  8. dknoerzer

dknoerzer Member

Posting this poll in the Suburban forum should have predictable results. Just sayin, there might be a little bias. I love my burb, I have the 3rd row seat and a big a$$ subwoofer in the trunk but still plenty of room for luggage or groceries or whatever you haul around. After driving an ext. cab pickup, I love not having to slide my seat forward and feeling cramped every time someone sits behind me too. I get about 15.7mpg around town, and this is blowing old people off the road, not driving like one.
  9. TMair

TMair Member

And that is probably true, but I would think that some of us like myself came from other smaller trucks, and have settled on the Suburban, so I think it is still valid, I like you came from an extended cab truck, but I also had a Trailblazer, and from what I can tell the Traverse is not all that much bigger, if bigger at all, my wife has a couple of friends one has the Traverse, the other has the Buick eddition, she says they are about the same as the Trailblazer, I for one would not go back to the Trailblazer unless I knew it was just me and my wife, and had didn't have to haul anything.
    I love my Suburban!!!
    Terry
  10. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You could always look at the Hybrid Suburban