Chevy Suburban with GMC grille

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Manta22, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Manta22

Manta22 New Member

I may have been hallucinating, but I recall seeing Chevy Suburbans with a GMC style grille with a rectangular block with the bowtie instead of the "GMC" letters. Can anyone tell me the year(s) of this or was I hallucinating?

I liked the look of them and I'd like to do that with my '94 Suburban.

Thanks.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have seen them also, I am pretty sure that they are aftermarket. Since Chevy and GMC both carried the Suburban tag during those years it is probably not all that hard to find that grill.

3. Manta22

Manta22 New Member

I heard that at the end of the model year, GM ran out of Chevy grilles so they made up this conglomeration as they had extra GMC grilles.

Finding the GMC grille is easy. It's the bowtie device that's hard to find. It's not the standard grille mount bowtie.

4. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Dont they call those limited editions...lol

5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I'd be very surprised if Chev would let a GMC grill be installed in a North American Chev truck (in the factory). In fact, it won't fit.

The fenders are different, the hood is different (yes, of course, you can change enough pieces and parts to make it fit).

However, GM has rebadged the GMC vehicles as Chev vehicles in other countries. The Envoy SUV was sold as a Chev Trailblazer in some of the South American countries. I'm sure they have done that with other vehicles.

6. Manta22

Manta22 New Member

Early 90's C/K Chevy and GMC used the same sheet metal. The plastic grill was slightly different in appearance, but either one works on either truck. The primary difference is one had "Chevrolet" badging and one had "GMC".

7. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Probably true, I was thinking of the pickups. They also may have shared most of the sheet metal.

8. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

You mean like these for a '99? LMC Truck I believe the GMC and Chevy Suburban bodywork was identical from 1992 to 1999.

9. Manta22

Manta22 New Member

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/csd/full.aspx?Page=41

Look at the bottom grille picture. Imagine instead of "GMC" there's a block with the Chevy Bowtie in its place, the same size.

The GMC and Chevy Suburban, Tahoe/Yukon, and C/K series shared the sheet metal from 1992-1999. The main difference was the badging and grilles.

10. MORAV

MORAV New Member

These are seen quite commonly in the Texas "Valley". Always with tags from across the border. Apparently GM builds Mexican Chevys with GMC body parts after the body parts become outdated/obsolete for the US market.