Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Chevy Traverse Steering Noise ~ Fixed with Graphite

Discussion in 'Chevy Traverse Forum (GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave)' started by ChevyFan, May 24, 2013.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Ever since I bought my Traverse I've noticed a rubbing or whirring sound when driving at slow speeds. Anyone else have a similar sound in their steering?

Almost sounds like something got down there between the two pieces of plastic.

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

People have been reporting this to GM for years and all sorts of tickets have been issues for warranty work to investigate the noise. These include looking at all aspects of the steering system and gearing ... from what I can tell it's just the plastic backing of the steering wheel rubbing against the plastic housing that covers the steering column.

Here's the steering column ...

[​IMG]

... The Steering Column Shroud and Trim ...

[​IMG]

... and the Steering Wheel itself.

[​IMG]

It looks to me like the back of the wheel itself it pushing against the top of the shroud (or maybe an internal part) and it's just causing some slow-motion friction and makes a faint "whirring" noise. I'm going to lay some some graphite this week in between those areas and see if that doesn't stop the noise.