1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Chevy Traverse Towing Package V92

Discussion in 'Chevy Traverse Forum (GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave)' started by ChevyFan, May 28, 2013.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

So I've been talking with some guys at a Chevy Dealership and they tell me that the Traverse has a very good cooling system, but the official towing package is V92 and it includes only three things.

V92 Towing Package
    - HD Radiator - P/N 20841738 (I'm looking into this now, I think it's got either a built-in oil or transmission cooler)
    - "Trailer Hitch" - P/N/ 20781543. This is a pretty simple bolt-on job. Trailer Hitch, Bolts, Plug, Harness and Extension.
    -

I've read elsewhere that the Traverse V92 factory towing package includes the following items:
    - receiver/hitch
    - HD radiator/cooling
    - external trans cooler
    - HD alternator
    - blunt cut pigtail harness for brake controller connection

I'm trying to pass this along to see if it's accurate.

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

And what does the dealer/ripoff want for this? That you can add even better for the same or lower price?

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Adding the factory engine cooler system is the hard part, the rest of it is just parts that I would get online myself.

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Why worry about the factory system?
    If I remember correctly the factory system shares space with the radiator and shares heat also, an after market cooler could be mounted in a better position so it would nt share that heat and could get a few degrees cooler, same with the trans cooler, get it separate from the radiator so it doesnt share heat.
    Check the Hoppy website to see if they have a plug in trailer light pigtail.

5. ChevyFan

GM has a policy where the Traverse is rated at 2000 lbs towing, unless you get the factory towing package installed where it magically jumps up to 5200 lbs.

For other vehicles, this makes a big difference as the factory towing package includes features like HD air struts and other more significant upgrades. But the Traverse is just the receiver, the electrical connection unit (I assume it's a7 pin), and the engine cooling system. There is some talk about a tow/non tow push button switch and module, but I can't find literature or parts for that.

So the question ... Does the aftermarket stuff void the 100k powertrain warranty? I'm gonna call GM abdominal see.

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like I'm going to have to add the TOW/HAUL button as well to the Traverse. I guess it's plug-and-play and like the DIC option that you can put on your Silverado, the TOW/HAUL system is built into the Traverse and I just have to get the switch, plug it in and it will work. I have not confirmed that 100% yet, but I will get the switch from gmpartsclub.com and when I hook it up, we'll see what happens. :)