Chevy Volt - Going on a Test Ride in a Chevy Volt Tonight!

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Jul 1, 2010.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

chey-volt-headon.jpg

I got invited to a Chevy Volt ride and drive event in Austin this week, but I couldn't get down there so I thought I was out of luck for my chance to drive the Volt and maybe see what GM's up to for the next year.

However, with a email asking if a Volt was coming to town, I got myself invited to dinner with some of the GM team from Detroit in Dallas as they bring an "engineering Volt" here.

I'll get a ride around town in a pre-production engineering Volt tonight, maybe get some photos, video and an interview (again, not sure). Details are sketchy now, not sure who will be there, but I'll do my best to get as much as I can.

So, anything you people want to know about the Volt before I go tonight??? :glasses:

chevy-volt-front.jpg chevy-volt-rear.jpg chey-volt-headon.jpg
  2. Megasaurus

Megasaurus Member

Wow, very cool beans. Would love to learn more about the technology that drives this and how far you can really go in there before the engine kicks in.
  3. Chevy Girl

Chevy Girl New Member

I'd like to know what it really costs to charge the vehicle up and how much that costs to do. I guess that changes depending on where you live in the world, but then so does gas. Does it get hot when charging?
  4. ChevyFan

Ed Whitacre just explained what I'll be part of. The Chevy Volt that is in Austin right now will be the same one that I will get to see tonight in Dallas. They're driving 1776 miles and will end up in New York on July 4th.

http://chevroletvoltage.com/index.php/Volt/ed-whitacre-speaks-live.html

It will be me and a local radio host and the guys from GM that are driving the Chevy Volt.
  5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member

What's the fastest speed it can go, how many miles to empty, and can you deliver the car to my house? I could put it to good use. LOL
  6. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member

I guess I havent been paying too much attention. when did the volt go from looking like a camaro to what it is now which is a cross of a prius and a malibu.
  7. ChevyFan

Yeah, they restyled it quite a bit, that's for sure. I'll ask those questions when I meet with them in about 45 minutes. I've got a bunch more ready to go.
  8. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member

Let us know where they plan to show it off in NYC. I'd love to check it out. What's the future for the Volt technology? Do they plan to expand it to other vehicles?
  9. ChevyFan

Just got home, it was AMAZING! I have photos and video that I will get up. Photos tonight, video tomorrow.
  10. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 New Member

That sounds great! I can't wait to see and hear the feedback!
  11. ChevyFan

steve-chevy-volt-2.jpg chevy-volt-awesome2.jpg chevy-volt-awesome.jpg
    jeff-bolton-570-will-handzel.jpg silverado-hybrid.jpg

I'll do a full writeup tomorrow AM and I have some video to post too. Here are some of the shots from the night.

Jeff Bolton, in the white shirt, does drive-time in the mornings on KLIF 570 AM in Dallas. www.klif.com.
  12. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member

Its a pretty good looking car.
  13. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member

Sharp looking car. Is the front grill for show, or is it functional? It looks like it's purely for looks. Also, what does GM anticipate as the next step for this technology...van, suv, truck applications? What about commercial vehicles?
  14. SliverZ71

SliverZ71 New Member

:intello: I think it looks very nice.

:cool: Steve
  15. Davandy

Davandy Moderator

16. davidwilsoon

davidwilsoon New Member

That sounds great! I can't wait to see and hear the feedback!