Chevy Volt Review Test Drive Video! One of the first public Chevy Volt Test Drives

Discussion in 'Chevy Volt Forum' started by ChevyFan, Aug 12, 2009.

Newest Photos

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

http://gallery.me.com/mike.juergens#100408

Chevy Volt Test Drive Video! One of the first public Chevy Volt Test Drives
    [​IMG]

This video was shot by Mike Juergens, taken on Monday August 10, 2009 at the Milford Proving grounds. The driver is Frank Weber, the GM executive in charge of the Chevy Volt. A lucky (and I do mean LUCKY!) few were standing by and happened to get a ride around the test track.

Keep in mind that this video was taken on the afternoon of August 10, nearly 16 hours before the official unveil by Fritz Henderson.

Mike and I shared a shuttle back to the airport on Monday afternoon and he's a tough critic, so he's impressed with the vehicle really means something.

Thanks Mike for sharing the video.

Attached Files:

2. ProzacKid

ProzacKid New Member 100 Posts

very cool! the volt looks very smooth and like it would be great for getting around town. I wonder how scalable the technology is, will it grow to carry a pickup 100 miles someday?
  3. ChevyFan

yeah, it looks very cool. The battery is huge though, it's in the shape of a large "T" and removes the ability to seat someone in the rear middle seat. They said the battery weight about the same as "a linebacker" ... so it's pretty hefty, but you take out the engine and transmission too so it's a good overall weight distribution and the electric motors directly power the vehicle.
  4. DavidNJ

DavidNJ New Member

The first trouble I have is GM's bogus mileage claims...do they thing this is health care? :)

230mpg...lets get real. They way 25kwh per 100 miles. That is the energy of 2/3rd of gallon of gas. It has a cost of 13ยข per kwh, or about $3.25. If you apply gas taxes pro-rata, that is about $3.68.

A Prius is rated at 50mpg and gas costs $2.50/gal, or $5.00 per 100miles. That would put the Volt at 68mpg equivalent.

The need to exaggerate underlies an inherit weakness where it is either a technology that is either not ready for production or just inappropriate for this application.
  5. ChevyFan

Electricity varies in cost. I'm paying $0.11 per kWh, but some parts of the country are at $0.04 per kWh. Some cities/states have different rates for different parts of the day. The cost of the electricity and the MPG are different metrics, by the way. One deals with the cost per mile and the other deals with how far it goes.

Being able to go 40 miles in a car the rough size of the malibu w/o using any gas and then re-charging it in 90 minutes in a 220 outlet (or 8 hours in a 110 outlet) isn't bogus, but I assume there will be vigorous debate on the nature of 230 MPG and also what will it cost to repower.
  6. holton

holton New Member

Thanks for sharing

your trip to GM.

Enjoyed
  7. ChevyFan

A week after the public unveiling there's been a lot of press about the Chevy Volt and what it can do. I think that it's only fair to wait-and-see for the ride and drive (even though GM critic Mike - as seen in the video - like the ride), but the electronics of it are something else. Questions that remain include issues with the heating system (just an electric heater and blower I guess?), the A/C system, how the stereo will work, and how it all ties together to make the battery last a long time.
  8. ChevyFan

There have been a few test drives of the volt, but this was one of the first. :) :party: